Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jonbrooker
Frequent Visitor

Downloading data from reports embeded in a web page

Hi, is it possible to download data from a report embeded within a web page?

I have created various reports that, as well as displaying tables and charts, are aimed at allowing any user to download extracts of the data behind them. Within our Power BI environment, the download data option is available in the 'More options' menu.

jonbrooker_0-1634914858351.png

However, when the report is embeded in a web page, the More options button is not available.

jonbrooker_1-1634915302190.png

See for example this report.

Is there a setting somewhere that would allow external users to download the data from this and other reports?

Many thanks

Jonathan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jonbrooker ,

That is using Publish to Web and as part of using Publish to Web one of the limitations are that you cannot export the data.

refer: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-publish-to-web 

vluwangmsft_0-1635129192475.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Best Regards

Lucien

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jonbrooker ,

That is using Publish to Web and as part of using Publish to Web one of the limitations are that you cannot export the data.

refer: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-publish-to-web 

vluwangmsft_0-1635129192475.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Best Regards

Lucien

Hi Lucien, many thanks for confirming this.

Is there another way to share data with external customers using Power BI, or is it just not possible?

Many thanks

J

Hi @jonbrooker ,

You could distribute Power BI content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B.By default, external Azure AD B2B limits guests to consumption of content only. External Azure AD B2B guests can view apps, dashboards, reports, and export data. 

And the guest user must have the proper licensing in place to view the content that you shared. There are a few ways to make sure the user has a proper license: use Power BI Premium, assign a Power BI Pro license, get a Premium Per User (PPU) license, or use the guest's Power BI Pro license.

Guest users who can edit and manage content in the organization need a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license to contribute content to workspaces or share content with others.

To learn more details ,refer:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b 

Best Regards

Lucien

Ok, that's a shame as we were hoping to use Power BI to provide public access to our data, but it looks like that may not be possible.

Many thanks again for your help Lucien

Kind regards

Jon

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors