Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

annie_12
Regular Visitor

Download to Excel from PowerBI Workspace

Hi,

We have uploaded an Excel file to the Workbooks section of our Power BI Workspace (the section which has Dashboards, Reports, Workbooks).  Is it possible to download the workbook as an Excel file, so that the user can update and interact with it on their own computer?  Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @annie_12

If you upload an Excel Workbook from your PC you cannot download it and edit it from what I can see.

What you could do, is to have the Excel file stored in OneDrive for Business or OneDrive personal, and then connect to the data in the Power BI Service via OneDrive.

That will then give you the ability to grant permissions to other users via OneDrive, where they can then access the source Excel file, and update as required.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

Hi @annie_12,

You could refer to this article for more detailed description:

Publish to Power BI from Excel 2016

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @annie_12

If you upload an Excel Workbook from your PC you cannot download it and edit it from what I can see.

What you could do, is to have the Excel file stored in OneDrive for Business or OneDrive personal, and then connect to the data in the Power BI Service via OneDrive.

That will then give you the ability to grant permissions to other users via OneDrive, where they can then access the source Excel file, and update as required.

Power BI Blog

Thanks for your comments.

Annie

Hi @annie_12,

You could refer to this article for more detailed description:

Publish to Power BI from Excel 2016

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Can I edit the permission for view only, not edit and I still can allow the workspace users to download?

Hi there,

Are you referring to storing the Excel file inside power bi?

Power BI Blog

Hello Gilbert,

Thank you for the quick answer.

No, I am referring to a report in the workspace, previously our users in our workspace were able to hover on the "hamburger menu" or three dots above a PowerBI visual to export data to excel. A change was made at the beginning of July which removed the export to excel feature for our users. Our admins still seem to have access to this feature. We have recently tried changing our permission setting giving users the ability to edit content in powerbi, to test if that removed their ability to export. It had no impact on their experience. We would like to give this ability to users in our workspace without making them admins.

I don't know if someone from Microsoft knows if they did some change in the workspace features?

Thank you.

Hi there, do some people see the hamburger menu and others do not?

Or is it possible that they removed the Report Header from the reports?

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors