Frequent Visitor
Accepted Solution

Download .pbix greyed out

Good morning!

I've created a report in the Power BI Service. Now I want to publish it to anotther app workgroup. Is there a direct way to do it?

As I couldn't see a direct way, my idea was to download the .pbix file to the Desktop, and then publish it from Power BI Desktop to the corresponding app workgroup. But I can't do it, as I noticed the option to Download .pbix file is greyed out! 

This report was created from 0 in the service. If I compare other reports created in the desktop and publiushed to the service, I can download correctly those .pbix's, but no the .pbix of the report created in the Service.

I have upgraded the Power BI Desktop to the latest version 2.46.4732.721 64-bit, but still not working.

Any reason why this could happen?

Is there a direct way to deploy the report to an app workgroup?

Many thanks!

Data analytics supporter !

Accepted Solutions

Re: Download .pbix greyed out

Hi @biswedishdevil,

You an go to My Workspace, then create a content pack, publish to that specific app group follow Create and publish an organizational content pack (tutorial).

Then in the app workspace, assume you have edit permission, then you can use Get Data-> My organization to get content pack, the report will display in that app workspace.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User

@biswedishdevil As you have outlined in your description, the rule behind the "Download PBIX" functionality is that the dataset/report start as a Desktop file... Since you did everything in the Service, there isn't currently any functionality to move that content from one workspace to another.

Near SE WI? Join our PUG MSBIWI

Hi @biswedishdevil,

As stated in this article, to download the report from Power BI service, the report must have originated from Power BI Desktop.

In your scenario, as the report is created on Power BI service, you can package the dataset and report, then publish to that app workspace. See:

Intro to organizational content packs in Power BI

Create and publish an organizational content pack (tutorial)

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Frequent Visitor

That's sad... I mean you spend time building a dataset and report in the Power BI Service, and then you can't download to Desktop nor share it to another workgroup?

Frequent Visitor

Could you please ellaborate a litle bit more the idea?

I've created the report in "My Workspace", and I'm not really finding my way to "pack" the dataset and report to an app...

Hi @biswedishdevil,

You an go to My Workspace, then create a content pack, publish to that specific app group follow Create and publish an organizational content pack (tutorial).

Then in the app workspace, assume you have edit permission, then you can use Get Data-> My organization to get content pack, the report will display in that app workspace.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Visitor

Can we just call PBI an Alpha at this point? I've had nothing but headaches from this **bleep** product. 

It's over a year later and this stupid limitation is still there.

Highlighted
Super User

@mvanderlee There are additional options to copy reports from one workspace to another via powershell commands if you are trying to accomplish moving reports to other locations. Otherwise, follow the design of the product and build reports in the Desktop in order to have the additional flexibility. There are a small number of use cases where you have to build reports in Service, and in those cases where you want to, you will be limited by what you can create (measures, etc), and will need to work with more advanced techniques to move things around.

Near SE WI? Join our PUG MSBIWI
Established Member

I totally agree with @Seth_C_Bauer, the use cases for building reports directly on the Service are very limited and mostly these are for "Power Users" to whom some kind of PBI content that is created on the Desktop level is published/delivered on the Service and they are deriving variants of the original report that was developed on PBI Desktop. 

Also, can't expect a product to work some other way when it is explicitly mentioned that it works one way. Documentation will be counter intutive if that is how products were to work.