Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KCinMelbourne
Resolver I
Resolver I

Download .pbix file retain/keep parameters

Hi all,

I've set up a Power BI model to have parameters which the admin users can change on Power BI Service when using the model. For example to change the current month or the name of a file being imported. However, other parts of the model require the file to then be downloaded to pbix for desktop. For example, to update the 'groups' used within the model. 

When the Power BI file is downloaded however, it reverts the parameters to the last time the model was published rather then retaining the parameters changed on Power BI Service. This is risky because they have to make sure they carefully re-update the parameters after publishing again.

Looking to see if anyone knows a workaround or an issue I can vote up. I couldn't find one.

Cheers

KC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

I do not think that there is currently an option to do this, and you might have to create your own idea?

What if you had to rather get the data maintained a spreadsheet in SharePoint which controlled the parameters?
THis way it would be centrally stored and always used

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

I do not think that there is currently an option to do this, and you might have to create your own idea?

What if you had to rather get the data maintained a spreadsheet in SharePoint which controlled the parameters?
THis way it would be centrally stored and always used

Power BI Blog

Thanks @GilbertQ , I often wonder how I am the only people with problems like this. I wonder what the logic is.

Spreadsheet import seems like the simple solution, but unfortunate to have a parameter function you can't use.  Thanks for taking the time to reply.

No worries glad to assist

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors