Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

E__
Helper III
Helper III

Download pbix file from report based on shared dataset

Best,

We work with one workspace containing all datasets (the golden dataset principle, where all reports and datasets are seperated), and give users build-permissions on the datasets they need. They don't have access to our "dataset workspace".

Until recently (I'd say until a month or so ago) our users could download the pbix-files from reports based on a shared dataset. Our best practice up until now was to have the most recent pbix-file in the service, and whenever a change is needed, users could download their, or a colleague's, pbix-file and make their edits in Power BI Desktop. However, now they can't do this anymore, and I noticed the "Limitations when downloading a .pbix from a report" has been altered recently, and now reads: 

• You can download a file in either Reading view or Editing view. You must be at least a Contributor to the workspace that the report is in. If the report is based on a dataset in another workspace, you need to be at least a Contributor to that workspace as well.

Was this change announced somewhere? I couldn't find any information on this, but am wondering why this was changed. It seems to make the golden dataset principle a lot less interesting all of a sudden.

What are your best practices for having multiple users work on the same report? How do your users save and control their pbix files? I feel like it shouldn't be end users' responsibility to have some sort of source control of their pbix-files - which is why we had the system using the service set up. 

Would love to hear how you deal with this.

Thanks,

Best,

Eva 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
BSN
Frequent Visitor

We are informed the product team is working on it to implement a fix in next releases.

View solution in original post

Hi,

The issue is solved now!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BSN 

I am so glad to hear this news . Thanks for your reply !

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BSN 

Please notify us if there are any updates. Looking forward to your reply!

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

The issue is solved now!

Hi,

The issue is solved now!

BSN
Frequent Visitor

We are informed the product team is working on it to implement a fix in next releases.

That is good news. Did they ale give an expected timing? Was this a communication regarding your support ticket, or is there any blog post or something similar that states this. Just to know if there's some official info I can share with my team.

BSN
Frequent Visitor

Received a cofnirmation from Microsoft that the issue is resolved. We tetsted from our side and it looks ok now!

BSN
Frequent Visitor

We have the smilar situation and created a ticket to Microsoft. All we got is that Microsoft updated a documentation online with this limitation 🙂

The risk is that we cannot make users as Contributors for two reasons : 1. Its possible to delete any dataset as contributor 2. Any contributor can download a Dataset with RLS and see all data on desktop.

We have no clue yet for a best workaround...

Oddly, I just found a comment, dating from June 2020, on this Ideas-post that describes the same problem. I remember this functionality being present for quite some time now, and just recently disappearing...

No, making them contributor to the "dataset workspace" is indeed no solution at all. Did they give a comment on why this change was made? This seems like a step backwards in functionality, and I can't imagine why this would be done.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors