Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

eskyline
Resolver I
Resolver I

Download of PBIX from service has full data not just reference to parent dataset

Hey folks, anyone experinced this....

We have a report published to the service that is connected to an existing Power BI dataset that is in the service (i.e. the Power BI Desktop Get Data/Power BI Datasets option).  Now, when we retrieve the Power BI PBIX from the service it appears that the whole schema and data is being brought down in the service as opposed to just a small PBIX with metadata about the report visuals and the connection to the PBI dataset.  When we look in the workspace where the parent and child report exist we only see the dataset of the parent report so we are pretty sure the child report is indeed connected to only the parent dataset.

We believe at one point the download from the service was working as we would expect (just a small file without the full schema). 

Has anyone expireneced this and does anyone know way to get the PBIX out of the service without the full data? 

Note we are not on Premium.

Thanks for any ideas.

Just to clarify.  In the below shot you can see the Allocations and P&L Schema reports both have their respective datasets.  The Supply Status xxxxx reports do NOT have datasets because they are using the Allocations dataset.  So... when I download one of the Supply Status variants I would expect that pbix to be small and NOT contain the full schema that is in the Allocations dataset.  I would expect to see only the field list.

Post.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
Conarl_on_BI
Helper III
Helper III

@eskyline,

I do not believe there has ever been a way to download just the dataset associated to a given reports. Once you hit download respective of your license type the action grabs the dataset associated to the report or visualization be it a small or large report/dataset.

Hope this explaination helps.

Thanks

Conarl_On_BI

Conarl_on_BI,

I'm not looking to download just the dataset but reports that are based off that dataset directly I'm expecting to NOT get the entire model along with the report.

Thanks

Hi @eskyline,

Maybe REST api will suitable for your requirement, you can use get dataset and get report functions to achieve your requirement.

Power BI REST APIs

Notice: you can post to developer forum to get better support for rest api related issues.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors