Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Download a .pbix copy started being extremely slow

We are using the "Download report (Preview)" menu from the "File" dropdown and in the past couple of months it has become extremely slow. Nothing has changed on our end, the data set is not bigger and the data model is the same. Previoulsy it would take 3-4 minutes to download the report. However, now it takes 20 minutes. Our .pbix file is ~200MB big.

Looking at the Network tab in the Developer tools, I see that the download speed is about 0.1MB/s.

Is there anything that can be done to speed up the download speed?

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue here, exporting ~200 MB .pibx report from the online environment already taking > 2 hours. Any progressbar to know whether it is actually doing something would be useful (other than fixing the underlying issue obviously). Problem persists on different networks / machines.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue here, exporting ~200 MB .pibx report from the online environment already taking > 2 hours. Any progressbar to know whether it is actually doing something would be useful (other than fixing the underlying issue obviously). Problem persists on different networks / machines.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All, 

Did we get any solution on this ? I am facing the same problem where pbix export is taking long time from app.powerbi.com.

also there is no % status which shows x% of file has been downloaded. Can we get any feature like this in future PBI releases ?  

Please share your comments on this. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone that can help?

@v-yulgu-msft any other advice?

This is an issue that also affects me and my organization too.  We have several large PBIX files that seem to take forever to download (hours)... but sometimed nothing is downloaded.  

Is there any way Microsoft could add a Progress bar or indicator when downloading these PBIX files, or is there another method of retreiving them?  I'd so much prefer a one drive web interface for grabbing pbix files from our workspaces if possible.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Please download the same .pbix file under a different network environment to check whether problem persists.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yulgu-msft IS THERE A BETTER SOLUTION BESIDES USING A DIFFERENT NETWORK???? 

Seriously, I'm trying to download an 800+ MB PBIX file from the web power bi workspace.... and all it says is "Exporting to Power BI Desktop (.pix) Your report is exporting to .pbix.  This might take a few minutes."....  Except, it's been HOURS.  Hell, I don't even know if it's doing anything, cause when I look at my network thruput, it seems to be pretty flat (hardly any activity).

Is there an ALTERNATIVE way to get these PBIX files? like in a OneDrive sort of interface?  Please read the other messages in this thread as well... (we want some kind of download progress bar for this please).

Why am I downloading the PBIX?  My source file got currupted, and I need this pbix file to make changes to the datasources.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have opened a ticket with Power BI support, and this is their response:

We have checked with our product team on your issue and confirmed as below

Usually the service would take more time when you download the report. But as our issue it is taking more than expected.

Product team is confirmed that it is expected behavior when downloading PBIX file from service.

When downloading the PBIX, the Power BI service has to rebuild the PBIX from scratch again in such a way as not to use too much resource (so not impact other processes).

This is why you don’t get the ‘save as’ dialog until the end as this only prompts when the file is built and ready for download.

All in all, this does take a lot of time and the larger PBIX you have the more painful the experience. 

Feedback has previously been sent to the Product Team about this and they do intend to look into the process and how it can be improved, however it’s not going to imminently change. There is no ETA from Product team.

It seems like we have to wait for unknown time to get this fixed...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a ticket for this? anyone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for you reply @v-yulgu-msft

We have tried downloading from different networks and different computers, the problem persists. 

And it is not just 1 report, but many reports. And, not just 1 dataset, but other datasets in other workspaces as well.

Just to mention that we are on Pro trial account.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors