Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JChris
Helper II
Helper II

Doubt about PowerBI.com and Gateway functionality

I posted this on Forums > Desktop, but I believe here (Forums > Service) is the right place as I'm talking about powerbi.com.

Let's say I have the following case:

• Sales Analysis.pbix on enterprise LAN (\\SERVER_XYZ\department_folder\Sales Analysis.pbix)
    • Source: .CSV on enterprise LAN (\\SERVER_XYZ\department_folder\file-one.csv)
    • Source: .XSLX on enterprise LAN (\\SERVER_XYZ\department_folder\file-two.xslx)
    • Source: SQL Server on enterprise LAN (Hostname Address: SQL_SERVER_ABC) -- using "Use current user credential" for authentication

I uploaded Sales Analysis.pbix to powerbi.com using the "Publish" link from PBI Desktop and now I have a "Sales Analysis" report and datasets. I have the following questions regarding powerbi.com functionalities:

When I opened Sales Analysis.pbix using PBI Desktop locally on my machine I could simply hit "Refresh" and it would use my credentials to get data from wherever source I've set. I always had access to the data in its entirety, since PBI Desktop would fetch it from the source. Now that Sales Analysis is inside powerbi.com and not locally anymore, will I be able to do the same, aka, see and interact with the complete data and not just "samples" of it? If positive, how powerbi.com does that? I believe it's not running inside my enterprise network, so how come it can get the data from my SQL Server and files from the enterprise network?

If, for example, I create another tab with some views inside my Report on LOCAL Sales Analysis.pbix and save, would it update my Sales Analysis inside powerbi.com? Is the local Sales Analysis.pbix linked in any way with the Sales Analysis inside powerbi.com?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@JChris

In short, Power BI Service uses Gateway to "find" the on-premise machine which hosts those files and do refresh. You need to install either Personal or On-premise Gateway on your on-premise machine. It will send the request to Azure Service Bus.

For more details, please refer to:

On-premises data gateway in-depth

Power BI Gateway - Personal

This is for "data refresh" only. You .pbix file is not linked with the report you published onto Power BI Service. If you have some changes in your report, you have to republish it.

Regards,

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@JChris

In short, Power BI Service uses Gateway to "find" the on-premise machine which hosts those files and do refresh. You need to install either Personal or On-premise Gateway on your on-premise machine. It will send the request to Azure Service Bus.

For more details, please refer to:

On-premises data gateway in-depth

Power BI Gateway - Personal

This is for "data refresh" only. You .pbix file is not linked with the report you published onto Power BI Service. If you have some changes in your report, you have to republish it.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors