Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

luxpbi
Helper V
Helper V

Don't allow end users to copy value from Power BI Service

Hi all! 

Is there a way to don't allow end users to copy value or copy selection from the Power BI service? 

We have all export options blocked in the tenant settings but users still can copy data. 

This is a big security issue for us because users can select, copy and paste in other tools a big amount of data. 

Thank you all for your help!

Regards

7 REPLIES 7
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @luxpbi 

Are you referring  to this function as shown in the following screenshoot?

19.png

I tested it, it seems that this function can not copy all data in the table at once, at most only one row of data can be copied. For the replication of data with a particularly large amount of data, it is obviously not applicable.This may be by design. 

I think the only thing you can do is to propose or support related ideas  and wait .If there are enough votes, the Product Team will evaluate and take good consideration about it.

You also can  raise it to the support team for better advice.

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-easonf-msft ,

Yes I am refering to this feature.

I don't know why but i can't upload photos. 

This is not true, if you have a matrix and select the row headers of the first level of hierarchie you can copy all the data. This is a big security issue, I can't understand why Microsoft allows that when you have disabled export options. 

I'm my other comment there is a link to the idea that someone else published in 2018!

Thank you for your help. 

Regards.

Hi, @luxpbi 

If there are enough votes,  I think the Product Team will evaluate and take good consideration about it.

You also  can come up with a new  idea and add your comments there to make this feature coming sooner.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

luxpbi
Helper V
Helper V

In case any is intereseted here is the idea:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/35618920-restrict-copy-data-from-...

I believe this is a urgent problem 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@luxpbi - You might look into Power BI's ability to integrate with Cloud App Security:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-security-using-microsoft-cloud-app-security-...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler,

Thank you for your fast answer. 

I don't know at all what Cloud App Security can do. Can you give me an example of how can i achieve my goal with it. 

I asume that I can't block end users to copy values and selections from the service with the tenant settings can I?

Regards

I have not worked with it myself with Power BI, I only know that Power BI integrates with it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cloud-app-security/session-policy-aad#block-activities

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors