Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vgamji

Does using an enterprise gateway bypass the need to login into VPN?

I have a SQL Server on a VM (IAAS) inside a VNET in my organization. Access to the datasource from the outside world needs a VPN connection into the VNET first, then can connect to the SQL Server database using the data source's credentials.

My question, after reading about the Power BI Gateway (Enterprise), is that if i create content that uses this data source, does the gateway remove the need to VPN into the VNET? Or this is still required?

I am using Power BI pro and so are the clients of this Power BI dashboard.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GuyInACube
Employee
Employee

All that matters is that the enterprise gateway has access to the data source.

The end user in a browser, using a report that makes use of the enterprise gateway, does not need to have network access to the data source or that network. This is possible because the Power BI service uses Azure Service Bus to send queries and credentials to the gateway. Then the gateway does the physical connection to the data source. In the case of SQL Server, we just use the credential that was hard coded in the data source, when configured. For analysis services, we pass the email address you logged into power bi. This is used as the EffectiveUserName property of the connection to AS.

In either case, the end user doesn't need network connectivity to the actual data source.

Adam W. Saxton | Microsoft Employee | Business Intelligence
@GuyInACube | youtube.com/guyinacube

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GuyInACube
Employee
Employee

All that matters is that the enterprise gateway has access to the data source.

The end user in a browser, using a report that makes use of the enterprise gateway, does not need to have network access to the data source or that network. This is possible because the Power BI service uses Azure Service Bus to send queries and credentials to the gateway. Then the gateway does the physical connection to the data source. In the case of SQL Server, we just use the credential that was hard coded in the data source, when configured. For analysis services, we pass the email address you logged into power bi. This is used as the EffectiveUserName property of the connection to AS.

In either case, the end user doesn't need network connectivity to the actual data source.

Adam W. Saxton | Microsoft Employee | Business Intelligence
@GuyInACube | youtube.com/guyinacube

I have a Power BI Service pointing to an on-premise SQL Server Database table that belongs to a secured VLAN where I need VPN credentials to access. If I setup a scheduled refresh of the report in Power BI Service, and I'm in the office connected to the corporate network, everything runs smoothly. As soon as I leave the office, and my surface is not connected to the VPN, the Schedule Refresh crashes...

Am I missing something?

I'm using my windows credentials hard-coded in the data source.

Thanks for you time!

Data analytics supporter !
nikil
Resolver I
Resolver I

VNET is the extension of your network in the cloud. So I am assuming you do not need to VPN to the VM when you are within your network. If this is the case, enterprise gateway will remove the need for VPN.

--nikil

Check out Chicagoland Power BI User Group

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors