Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kfransis
Regular Visitor

Does user need to be a member of the workspace to view the visual on the report that contains RLS?

Hi, 

I created a role (not assigning any filter yet) in one of my PBI reports then published it to the intended workspace. 

Once published, I tried to share the report to the specific user to access the report but he got "This Visual contains restricted data. See details" error message on all visuals in the report. Having said that, as soon as I added him to be a member of that workspace, he can see all the visuals in that report.

Therefore, I was wondering if the user needs to be a member of the workspace to see the visual report that contains RLS?

Thanks

kfransis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

It appears that you have not added the users to the Security Role in the Power BI Service.

If you can read my blog post below it explains and shows you where to add the user to the Security Role in the Power BI Service 

https://www.fourmoo.com/2016/10/03/power-bi-dynamic-row-level-security-things-you-need-to-know-to-ge...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

It appears that you have not added the users to the Security Role in the Power BI Service.

If you can read my blog post below it explains and shows you where to add the user to the Security Role in the Power BI Service 

https://www.fourmoo.com/2016/10/03/power-bi-dynamic-row-level-security-things-you-need-to-know-to-ge...

Power BI Blog

My analyze in excel is greyed out.  Any idea on why it is greyed out

Hi there

Could it be that the settings have been disabled? You would need to chat to your Power BI Admin.

Or are you a guest in another Power BI tenant, that does not currently work with Analyze in Excel.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors