Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bvenu2712
Helper I
Helper I

Does the monthly license renewal will reset/add memory to the existing dataset/User?

1. If the existing dataset (For example, 1 GB) had been reached the specified memory limit after refreshing couple of months.
  2. Would like to know the same for the memory allocated per User (i.e. Pro User with 10 GB) for each license renewal.

Thanks,
Venu Bolla

7 REPLIES 7
bvenu2712
Helper I
Helper I

1. Does the monthly license renewal will reset/add memory, if the dataset had been reached the specified memory(for example, 1 GB) limit after refreshing couple of months.
  2. Would like to know the same for the memory allocated per User (i.e. Pro User with 10 GB) for each license renewal.

Thanks,
Venu Bolla

Hi there

The size limits are static in that for a Pro user the max size of an imported PBIX file is 1GB and that currently does not change each month.

Along with the total storage for each user will be 10GB and will not increase or decrease.

It will not be affected by any license renewal.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ, Thank you for your quick reply!

As per my understanding, Pro user must be provided with 10 GB of space each month, which sounds good for me.

And, I am not clear with the space allocated for each dataset of an import model. 

For example: Assume that, I have all the Pro users (includes developers and consumers) for a small organization.

Step1 - I am a Pro user(developer) and I have imported a PBIX file of size 900 MB (which works good, as it is <1 GB) to the Power BI service for the very first time.

Step2 - I shceduled the same dataset on a daily basis to incremental refresh with 500 MB(assuming...) each day. 

Now the size of my dataset is 900 MB + 500 MB = 1.4 GB after the day1 refresh and it keeps growing on a daily basis.

I was wondering, does the 1 GB is restricted for importing the PBIX file into the service or is it applicable for the dataset(as per the above scenario)?

Thanks,

Venu Bolla

Hi there,

Based on your scenario above, the refreshing would fail as soon as it goes over 1GB.

Also just to note that currently there is not a way to do an incremental refresh, but that is planned on coming later to the Power BI Service.

Power BI Blog

For an organization, which have only Pro licenses for both authors and consumers (if users are less than 100).

At certain point of time, the dataset for import certainly reaches that limit (1 GB) after multiple schedules.

May be at that point, premium is the only option to upgrade and work with the same dataset.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Venu Bolla

Hi there

I would suggest looking to see which columns you do not need in your model and remove them. This can often save a lot of space.

Also you can use the following link below, which will tell you which columns are taking up the most space.

https://exceleratorbi.com.au/power-bi-desktop-memory-usage/

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

I might also point out, as i think there is some confusion here, your gibabyte amounts are not a "Per Month" from a transfer perspective, its the storage space.  So don't feel like you are eating up a data cap by refreshing unless your actual Power BI file itself is growing in size.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors