Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pborah
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Does my end user need a pro license to subscribe to a report or the app containing a report?

So We recently published an app and asked the end users to subscribe themselves to the report. One user immediately got back saying he is receiving an error message asking him to obtain a pro license to be able to subscribe to the report. Is this correct?

pborah_0-1660145437897.png

Because in the past, we have published other reports and have asked end users who do not have a pro license to subscribe themselves to the report and they have been able to (over a year ago). I read the Microsoft documentation and it also says that users need a pro license to subscribe. Is this a new change in how subscriptions work?

pborah_1-1660145462354.png

Please help.

P.S. All users in our organization have the basic free license they need to be able to view a report in a premium workspace. I'm trying to get the end user on a Teams call so he can screenshare and show me what he is doing. Until then, I'm scouring the internet for answers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@pborah If it worked in the past then either it was a bug or the report in question was published to a premium workspace and the current report in question is not published to a premium workspace.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

If your app is based on a workspace that is in premium capacity then the user just needs power bi free. First things to check in that case is that the workspace is in the capacity. Also check that the specific user actually has power bi free assigned.

If you don't have a premium capacity then yes they'd need power bi pro (or certain office licences E5 I think include it). It's possible that originally users were automatically picking up a free trial of power bi pro?

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@pborah If it worked in the past then either it was a bug or the report in question was published to a premium workspace and the current report in question is not published to a premium workspace.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors