Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Akahn
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Does my data consumer need a PowerBI Pro license?

Does my data consumer need a PowerBI Pro license to view a report I built with a PowerBI Pro license that has schedule refresh enabled?

The consumer is within my organization. They will not be making edits to the dashboard/report.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes. Any Pro feature used to create a report/dashboard requires that the end user have a Pro License.

Currently, they can sign up for free, and start a free Pro trial for 60 days.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Workener
Frequent Visitor

Just to reassure: For a connection to an on-premise SQL Server it is always neccessary to have the PowerBI Pro licence, right?

Are there any further licence requirements (e.g. SQL Server Enterprise) in order to do that?

UPDATE: I tested it on a virutal: You can get and open the data with PowerBI Desktop, but to handle the dataset online you need a gateway, which comes with the PRO licence.

Yes. Any Pro feature used to create a report/dashboard requires that the end user have a Pro License.

Currently, they can sign up for free, and start a free Pro trial for 60 days.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Do Power BI consumers need to have Power BI desktop installed to view reports that are embedded in SharePoint?

I am a Pro user that creates dashboards and schedules refreshes and I have the Dashboard displayed on a large TV outside my CIO's office. Does this require more than just my single Pro license? 

no, as long as it's running under your account credentials.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors