Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

CarlMeads
Regular Visitor

Does my data consumer need a PowerBI Pro license?

Hi, can I publish dashboards somewhere centrally for users to consume without them having the pro licence? What experience will someone have if they tried to access a dashboard that took content from a Group Workspce or locally hosted dataset and they DIDN'T have a Pro licence

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi CarlMeads,

As shared by Eno1978, a Dashboard in a group workspace should belong to the Power BI pro content, and a free user Account is not allowed to access such data source.

The following is my first test result when sharing a dashboard in a group workspace:

4.PNG

8.PNG

But after some time, when I click the shared link in Mail from the free Power BI account, the shared dashboard shows out without any error popping out.  I will keep monitor this behavior.

Dashboard within a content pack is not available to share, neither the original  nor the copied version.

There is no share option available at the top-right corner on the original Content Pack dashboard, and the following is the copy (sharing this using the group admin account):

5.PNG

Regards

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

@CarlMeads The only "central" location that I am aware of where this would work is SQL 2016 SSRS. The current solution just stores PBIX files, but long term plans sound like there will be an in-browser experience from what I've read. There is nothing like this currently. You could look at Power BI embedded for external facing solutions, but all internal would require a user to have a license if Pro content is used.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

thanks guys that clears up the refresh.

How about if I manually refresh, the datasource is an excel spreadsheet but the dashboard is created from within a group workspace?

@CarlMeads Group workspace is a Pro feature. My assumption is that your end users would need a Pro license since you are using this. (haven't tested this particular scenerio though)

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

That  was also my assumption, however I have tested it and my end user who had no pro licence was able to view the dashboard.

Hi CarlMeads,

As shared by Eno1978, a Dashboard in a group workspace should belong to the Power BI pro content, and a free user Account is not allowed to access such data source.

The following is my first test result when sharing a dashboard in a group workspace:

4.PNG

8.PNG

But after some time, when I click the shared link in Mail from the free Power BI account, the shared dashboard shows out without any error popping out.  I will keep monitor this behavior.

Dashboard within a content pack is not available to share, neither the original  nor the copied version.

There is no share option available at the top-right corner on the original Content Pack dashboard, and the following is the copy (sharing this using the group admin account):

5.PNG

Regards

@CarlMeads Further fact checking outlines that this scenerio should "not" work. Either your "Free" user has a Pro trial, or something is currently broken in the Service. I personally wouldn't assume that this continues to work based on this link outlining specifically that this falls under "Pro" and would require a license for all users. (second to last bullet in first paragraph of bullets.)

Habib
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Local hosted data sources needs gateway for data refresh and this will requrie Pro license. You can't share dashboard being refreshed from local servers to ones having free license.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors