Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kerry_M
Helper I
Helper I

Does everyone in my company need a premium license if we want reports that automatically update?

Hi, 

For years I have been creating reports in Power BI desktop and then publishing them to the service for other employees to view (we all have Power BI Pro licenses). But right now I have to open each report each week and update it on my desktop (so nobody gets an update of the report if I am on vacation). I would like to set up my reports to connect directly to our SQLServer databases in the Power BI service so that others can click REFRESH to see the latest data but I don't know where to begin.  I think I need to create a 'data flow' to do this and I think I need a premium license to create a data flow.
1) Will everyone in my company now need a premium license to read my reports? or
2) can I assign just one other staff member to update the reports and if so - will that person need a premium license? 

3) Can you direct me to some training on how to connect an SQLServer to the Power BI service?

4) I also use Excel for some dimension tables etc. Can I put my Excel tables into SharePoint or OneDrive and set the rights for all staff to see them then use them directly in the PowerBI service? If so - will others be able to update the reports without me this way?

Thanks - as much as I love Power BI, I find the whole license thing and data connections from the cloud very confusing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Have a read of 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-scheduled-refresh

You go into the settings for a dataset that your published from power bi desktop and expand the scheduled refresh section.

If you have source data that is on your local network then yes you need to get it to confure a power bi data gateway.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Kerry_M
Helper I
Helper I

Thanks so much. This is very helpful

bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

From your description you should be able to do everything with your existing pro licences.

Is your SQL server on premise?

It sounds like you just need to get a gateway setup. Have a look at https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlv1tbuZNcM

Ben Dobbs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Thanks!  How would I do that? When I go to the Data hub in the Power BI service it shows my datasets uploaded with my Power BI desktop reports but does not show any options for creating or connecting to a dataset from the service. Do I need to ask my IT department to install a Data Gateway?

Have a read of 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-scheduled-refresh

You go into the settings for a dataset that your published from power bi desktop and expand the scheduled refresh section.

If you have source data that is on your local network then yes you need to get it to confure a power bi data gateway.

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors