Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

anshul127

Does data flows over Public Internet

Hi All,

I am new to Power BI and working on its pilot implementation in my organisation. However, there are a few architectural questions that have slowed my progress.

Scenario

1. My data source is an on-premise tabular model (SSAS)
  2. Gateway is installed and configured properly
  3. I have created a few reports using Power BI Desktop. Data source for these is an on-premise tabular model, I mentioned above in 1.
  4. I have got 10 Power BI Pro License

Questions

1. When a user wants to access a report hosted on the Power BI cloud does the report gets downloaded into my organisation's network and then runs? If not does it stays in the Power BI cloud and runs from the cloud itself?

1. If the report runs on the Power BI cloud, does my organisation data moves over Public internet?

1. If the data runs over Public Internet, then does it mean that I have to increase my organisation's public internet handling capacity? How secure is the Azure channel in handling data over public internet?

I will appreciate if anyone with in the community can answer them.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

For this specific question "

1. If the data runs over Public Internet, then does it mean that I have to increase my organisation's public internet handling capacity? How secure is the Azure channel in handling data over public internet?"

You can look at using Azure ExpressRoute service for which PowerBI has been added recently. It lets you create private link from your on-prem datasource to azure data centres. This way data doesn't travel over public internet. Obviously this mean some addition to infrastructure costs.

@ankitpatira - Nice, forgot about that announcement.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

1. Runs in cloud

1. Not your data, except during refresh or if you are using Direct Query (which you probably are using SSAS Tabular) otherwise just rendering of HTML page

1. Well, all traffic is encrypted via SSL both for the gateway, Direct Query and rendering of reports. Do you have to up your bandwidth, maybe, depends on the data and the efficiencies of your queries.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors