Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mhbon
Frequent Visitor

Does MFA influence scheduled refresh?

Hi all,

I was just wondering if my companies Multi-Factor-Authentication expiration period (7 days) would influence my scheduled refreshes? 

Would I have to login and reauthenticate in the service every 7 days? Is there any documentation on this?

Thanks in advance! 

Michiel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @mhbon ,

In my experience, we have had to turn off MFA for Power BI to schedule refresh.  

According to this thread from last year, this appears to be the case.  But, you can always open a new ticket to see if anything has changed. 

Solved: Data Sources with MFA - Dynamics 365 Business Cent... - Microsoft Power BI Community)

Here is an explanation of how it might work with Power BI:

Azure Analysis Services authentication and user permissions | Microsoft Docs

This link also contains a number of links on how this might work:

Solved: Two factor authentication - Microsoft Power BI Community

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mhbon ,

Using multi-factor authentication is one of the easiest and most effective ways to increase the security of your organization. In summary, to provide an additional level of security for sign-ins, you must use multi-factor authentication (MFA)

And to my knowledge, you won't have to do the second step every time you sign in. Some people worry that multi-factor authentication is going to be really inconvenient, but generally it's only used the first time you sign into an app or device, or the first time you sign in after changing your password.

So as @collinq said, it is suggested to disable it and use a Service account whose MFA is disabled instead if you want to configure scheduled refresh.

Refer to:

What is: Multifactor Authentication

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/turning-two-step-verification-on-or-off-for-your...

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @mhbon ,

In my experience, we have had to turn off MFA for Power BI to schedule refresh.  

According to this thread from last year, this appears to be the case.  But, you can always open a new ticket to see if anything has changed. 

Solved: Data Sources with MFA - Dynamics 365 Business Cent... - Microsoft Power BI Community)

Here is an explanation of how it might work with Power BI:

Azure Analysis Services authentication and user permissions | Microsoft Docs

This link also contains a number of links on how this might work:

Solved: Two factor authentication - Microsoft Power BI Community

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Any update on this @collinq . My organization is planning to setup MFA for all users and I want to be prepared if there is a solution for this instead of turning off MFA for me. Thanks

Hey @shwetzash ,

No change that I no of - still have to have it turned off (for that account).

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors