cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrookBracewell2
Frequent Visitor

Does Dataflow reduce the need to load data on source databases

We have an on premise SQL Datawarehouse, and the management of both this environment and Power BI fall to the same group. I feel like data load from our on premise server to Power BI would be more efficient if we used dataflows however I have not seen this particular usecase featured. Would a load of tables in to dataflow mean a fact table is loaded once from On Prem and then reused accross my datamodels? It is quite sluggish building in to Workflow, then refreshing, then connecting to a desktop report and I am wondering if this is a wasted effort. Feedback is appreciated. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
otravers
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@BrookBracewell2 wrote:

Would a load of tables in to dataflow mean a fact table is loaded once from On Prem and then reused accross my datamodels?

@BrookBracewell2 wrote:

Would a load of tables in to dataflow mean a fact table is loaded once from On Prem and then reused accross my datamodels?

Yes, the re-use of source data across datasets is one of the primary use cases for dataflows.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
otravers
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@BrookBracewell2 wrote:

@BrookBracewell2 wrote:

Yes, the re-use of source data across datasets is one of the primary use cases for dataflows.

View solution in original post

@otravers 
I hit a nother stumbling block, which is the requirement to have a shared model accross workspaces.  Any thoughts on that?

Yes, you can now share datasets and even promote them within an organization:

Share a dataset - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Power BI datasets can now also been queried from other datasets, which opens even more possibilities.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI User Groups

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

April Update

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the April 2021 Updates!

secondImage

The largest Power BI virtual conference

100+ sessions, 100+ speakers, Product managers, MVPs, and experts. All about Power BI. Attend online or watch the recordings.

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power BI

See the latest Power BI innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors