Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do we need gateway for refreshing data from Web

Hi Folks,

I have extracted data from a web URL into a Power BI desktop file and published this report on Power BI Service. Can anyone of you tell me if I will need a gateway to schedule auto-refresh from Power BI service? My understanding is we don't need gateways when data source is on the cloud (like SharePoint or Onedrive for business). But what about data on a web link( for example-Wikipedia).

Thanks in advance for any help.😊

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
RenuKshirsagar
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hello @Anonymous ,  

We don't require gateway when the data sources are cloud (SharePoint Online, OneDrive). You just need to configure your credentials as shown in the following image.  

A gateway is required when we connect to Wikipedia from Power BI Desktop. I connected to Wikipedia and I am asked to install a gateway.  

WEB DataSource: OneDrive & SharePointWEB DataSource: OneDrive & SharePoint

WIKIWEB.PNG

If this was helpgul, kindly promote this as a solution.

Thanks,  

Renu KS.

View solution in original post

Hi @Anonymous ,

As I posted before, when the URL is of a Wikipedia page, it needs to configure a personal gateway / a enterprise gateway to refresh data in power bi service. When you have no gateway, power bi service will remind you to install. Without gateways, it will not refresh automatically because you could not configure a scheduled refresh for it.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
upenderteku9700

Hello Greetings for the Day.

When the data Source is Cloud  Never think about Gateway.

One drive or Share Point files  within the same user and same domain can be easily set for Refresh 

But files from different User Id even within the same domain should be considered as Oauth and Basic ..

It will Work on Oauth Check & revert if u want any Assistance further

RenuKshirsagar
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hello @Anonymous ,  

We don't require gateway when the data sources are cloud (SharePoint Online, OneDrive). You just need to configure your credentials as shown in the following image.  

A gateway is required when we connect to Wikipedia from Power BI Desktop. I connected to Wikipedia and I am asked to install a gateway.  

WEB DataSource: OneDrive & SharePointWEB DataSource: OneDrive & SharePoint

WIKIWEB.PNG

If this was helpgul, kindly promote this as a solution.

Thanks,  

Renu KS.

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

As your mentioned, when you get data from the cloud like SharePoint or OneDrive for Businesss etc, it need not gateway when refreshing it. However, when you ger dafa from wikipedia etc, it needs a personal gateway / enterprise gateway.

When you refresh it without personal mode gateway, power bi service will remind you to install a personal gateway to enable to edit data credentials.

personal.pngp2.png

Or you can use an enterprise gateway to add a new data source for each web URL to refresh them.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank for helping me out. I understood this for sharepoint or cloud owner by Microsoft. But what is URL is of a Wikipedia page. Does that also refresh automatically without gateways?

Hi @Anonymous ,

As I posted before, when the URL is of a Wikipedia page, it needs to configure a personal gateway / a enterprise gateway to refresh data in power bi service. When you have no gateway, power bi service will remind you to install. Without gateways, it will not refresh automatically because you could not configure a scheduled refresh for it.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

You don’t need a gateway in your case, only if the data source is located on-premises, you need a gateway. For online or cloud-based data sources, no gateway is required.

You can perform the scheduled Refresh up to 8 times per day with Power BI Pro License

If my answer was helpful, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this reply 🙂

YouTube  LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors