Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

KaterinaB

Do report subscribers need pro license if they only receive screenshot without access to report?

I have a simple one page report showing daily evolution of sales and would like to create a subscription including only the preview screenshot and .png attachment (no permission for the report given, no link to the report included in the e-mail) for an e-mail group of approx. 80 people out of which only about half has a Power BI Pro license.

If I use the group as a recipient/subscriber, will all users in it receive the e-mail with the screenshot? Or will only those with the Pro license receive it? Or will the 60-day free trial license automatically start for those that until now had none, and after the 60 days period they will no longer receive anything?

I read the Microsoft documentation: "If the report or dashboard isn't hosted in a Premium capacity, as indicated by the diamond icon, you can subscribe other people, but they must also have a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license" but does that really apply even when the report itself is not effectively shared, only a screenshot is made with no access?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KaterinaB ,

If you want to add a subscription for a group, then your report has to be located in the premium capacity. And in premium capacity, your users do not need a pro/ppu license to access the report through the link in the subscription email.

If you have not purchased premium capacity, you can only subscribe for single users and these users need a pro/ppu license to access the report.

When free users open a report, they will be notified of a free trial of pro/ppu. And after the 60-day trial period, they will go back to the free license and will not be able to open the report in shared capacity.

For more information, please refer to: Subscribe to a report or dashboard in the Power BI service 

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KaterinaB ,

If you want to add a subscription for a group, then your report has to be located in the premium capacity. And in premium capacity, your users do not need a pro/ppu license to access the report through the link in the subscription email.

If you have not purchased premium capacity, you can only subscribe for single users and these users need a pro/ppu license to access the report.

When free users open a report, they will be notified of a free trial of pro/ppu. And after the 60-day trial period, they will go back to the free license and will not be able to open the report in shared capacity.

For more information, please refer to: Subscribe to a report or dashboard in the Power BI service 

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

KaterinaB

Hi Stuart, I have just now tried to insert the group (it has our domain), and this is the message I got:

KaterinaB_0-1647950273414.png

So it would seem that it doesn't work?

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @KaterinaB 

With a Pro licence you can subscibe email groups and other users in your domain, (you need Premium if you want to send subscriptions outside your domain) . You can include a preview image, and take off the links and access in the subscription. Then people without any Power BI licence will receive the email and thumbnail image, they will not start a Trial licence (that only happens if you include an access link and they click on it). Using email rules you can forward the email received via an email rule if you wish.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors