Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

joyce23
Frequent Visitor

Do i need a gateway with these sources?

Hi,

Do i need a gateway with these sources? BEcause Power bi online is requiring me to install a gateway. If i dont need one, how can i do a schedule refresh without using a gateway? TIA.

capture.png

Best Regards, Joyce

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @joyce23

The dataset uses Web connector to get data from Googlesheet doesn't require gateway when we do dataset refresh in Power BI service. The difference is whether we use the Web.Page in Power Query. If the Web.page function is using when getting data in Power Query, it requires gateway when we refresh such dataset in Power BI service. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @joyce23

As you are using web data sources, you need to use gateway if you want to refresh the dataset after you publish the report to Power BI service. 

You can either install and configure on-premises data gateway or on-premises data gateway (personal mode). Then follow up this document to configure schedule refresh: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-scheduled-refresh

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, I am using google sheets for my database. i publish them to web as csv. does that need a gateway?  I have a colleague using the same sources however she doesnt need a gateway like i do. she doesnt know also the difference. what do you think is the problem with my sources. thank you.

Hi @joyce23

The dataset uses Web connector to get data from Googlesheet doesn't require gateway when we do dataset refresh in Power BI service. The difference is whether we use the Web.Page in Power Query. If the Web.page function is using when getting data in Power Query, it requires gateway when we refresh such dataset in Power BI service. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors