Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do i need a gateway for a SQL Query running in the back Ground for refresh

Hi All,

My desktop report uses a SQL code as the data source (database is Oracle). When i refresh i get the current data that is in the database. My question is when i publish the report to the service, should i set a gateway ? If yes, do i NEED to schedule a refresh or the report will refresh automatically when the user opens it?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

You would need to install and configure the gateway.

Once the dateway is done, you would then configure a scehduled refersh for your dataset.

Then when a user opens the Power BI report in the service it would show the latest data.

Here are more details on how to create the gateway for Oracle: Power BI – On-Premise Gateway Configuration steps to an Oracle Database - Reporting/Analytics Made easy with FourMoo and Power BI

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

You would still need the Gateway if you want to use DirectQuery

You would then configure your Power BI report to use DirectQuery and not import the data. Just be aware that using DirectQuery can put a lot of load on your Oracle system

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GilbertQ yes in my desktop i oped for direct query. It is just small dataset, around 200 records which keeps changing , so i need live data. I will try and update.

Thanks

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

You would need to install and configure the gateway.

Once the dateway is done, you would then configure a scehduled refersh for your dataset.

Then when a user opens the Power BI report in the service it would show the latest data.

Here are more details on how to create the gateway for Oracle: Power BI – On-Premise Gateway Configuration steps to an Oracle Database - Reporting/Analytics Made easy with FourMoo and Power BI

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GilbertQ thanks. I do not want to set up refrresh, i want live data (not sure when it is direct query why it should be refreshed) that defeats the whole purpose correct? For example my current query brings 100 records and i set a refresh every 15 mins and the user cant see the 100 records until the refresh is done after 15 minutes. Please advice.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors