Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do embedded reports become discoverable outside of the places where I embed the report?

I'm planning to embed a PowerBI report for my organization on an internal google site, and wanted to make sure it wouldn't otherwise be discoverable.

My team uses a google site that only folks within our organization have access to, but I was concerned that when I embed a report, it becomes discoverable somewhere else on the internet (like in some PowerBI community or repository of sample reports).

As a note, I've already hidden the columns so that "Show Records" isn't available, and it will only display the aggregate numbers in "Show Data" but we don't typically share the raw numbers externally and so I wanted to make sure it wasn't just "out there" in the ether of the internet and would only be accessible where I had embedded it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous If you are talking about using "Publish to Web" this is an insecure way of embedding your report. Which is why here, it clearly states you are exposing your report to the internet. From speaking with colleagues, it would not be difficult for anyone to create a program that searches the context of the very similiar URL paths created for Publish to Web reports to scan and find reports that have been published in this manner.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

@Anonymous If you are talking about using "Publish to Web" this is an insecure way of embedding your report. Which is why here, it clearly states you are exposing your report to the internet. From speaking with colleagues, it would not be difficult for anyone to create a program that searches the context of the very similiar URL paths created for Publish to Web reports to scan and find reports that have been published in this manner.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors