Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BasilR
Regular Visitor

Do certified connectors always require a gateway?

We are developing a custom connector that will make use of Azure Data Lake Gen 2.

As a custom connector, a gateway is required to perfrom refreshes in the service. My question is whether certifying the connector would allow refreshes in the service without using a gateway. Some Microsoft connectors to cloud services work this way, others such as the SQL Server connector still require a gateway even if the server in in Azure.

There are other posts related to this - I did not find anything that explicitly answered this question.

Can anybody give me a definitive answer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @BasilR ,

Yes, you can mke a connector that does not need the gateway.  The circumstance for this is if the data source is on the cloud.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
BasilR
Regular Visitor

This is the reply I received from the Power BI team:

To clarify – a gateway is requiring during development, but would become optional after certification. The Power BI service environment essentially hosts a “cloud gateway” that runs similar to the on-prem gateway. After certification, we will deploy your connector to this environment so that it is available to all Power BI customers.

BasilR
Regular Visitor

@collinq ,

Thanks for your reply.

The Power BI connector for Azure SQL Database does not require a gateway to refresh in the service. Niether does the Azure Data Lake Gen 2 connector and a number of others.

However if you connect to a SQL Server database even if that SQL Server is running on a VM in Azure you have to use a gateway to refresh in the Power BI service.

You are right that a certified connector and a gateway are not necessarily related (see my example above). My question is quite specific - is it possible create a certified connector (not from Microsoft) that does not require a gateway for refreshes in the service. And if so under what conditions and restrictions.

The objective is to provide a service to several thousand customers without having the cost overhead and complexity of running gateways.

Regards

B

Hi @BasilR ,

Yes, you can mke a connector that does not need the gateway.  The circumstance for this is if the data source is on the cloud.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @BasilR ,

I am not sure that I agree with you that you have to have a gateway, for SQL Azure.  The purpose of a gateway is only used to inside your network.  To quote Microsoft "Power BI Gateway is a software that is required to access data situated in an on-premises network. Gateway act as a gatekeeper for the on-premises data source. If anyone needs to access on-premises data from a cloud or web-based app, the request goes through the gateway. "

Therefore, I don't think that the two things are related.  A connector is just the way to get to the data source.

A certified connector is Microsoft giving the developer a certification for a public product.

Therefore, a certified connector and a gateway are not necessarily related.  Only if the certified connector is being used to access data inside a network from the Service will that specific user have to install a gateway.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors