Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KXH

Do assignment to app audiences overwrite reports' row level security (RLS)?

I have four reports, all with their respective RLS-es, and all located in the same workspace, lets name them A to D. I have created an app that includes all the reports (A to D) and an audience named "AD" in which the user can access only reports A and D. I am wondering about the following

1. If user X1 is asigned to audience "AD" and in addition user XYZ has a RLS setting in report A only to country Y, is this RLS preserved or does the X1 user gets access to the full content in report A? 
2. When I assign a new user X2 to audeince "AD", do I need to provide also access to the underlying reports including with the respective RLS?
3. If user X3 is assigned to audience "AD" but has also access to report B with the respective RLS. I understand that the user will not be able to use report B through the app, but will the user still be able to use report B outside the app?
Thank you in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

1. RLS is preserved

2. If you want them to see data, yes.  Not a technical requirement though

3. How would the user be able to see report B outside the app? By giving them direct report access?  (NOTE: RLS is ignored for workspace users above Viewer role).

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

1. RLS is preserved

2. If you want them to see data, yes.  Not a technical requirement though

3. How would the user be able to see report B outside the app? By giving them direct report access?  (NOTE: RLS is ignored for workspace users above Viewer role).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors