Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Snir_Shaked
Frequent Visitor

Do I really have to use a gateway

Hi,

I have one data source in my model which stored in the cloud - SQL Server managed instance.

Do I really have to use a gateway?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

If you are using Azure SQL then it would not need a gateway.

If you are running SQL that is managed on a VM, it is the same as running On-Premise and it would require a gateway.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Snir_Shaked,

Based on my research, I find that you might not need to use gateway.  For previous year’s post , we could see PG said that “At the moment, gateway is needed for PowerBI Online to access Azure SQL Managed Instance residing in customer’s virtual network, just like with SQL Server on-premises.

I would also add that later this year Managed Instance is going to offer optional public endpoint, which will allow PowerBI Online to access it directly, without need for gateway, which will also unlock OAuth2 (AAD) authentication option”

You could refer to Configure public endpoint in Azure SQL Database managed instance and Azure SQL Server Managed Instance for details.

Best Regards,

Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not able to connect to the azure sql managed instance directly without using gatway,

I don't want to use power bi on premise data gateway since it will make round trip to on-premise.

Also, not want to enable public end point as there will be security issue. 

Is there any other workaround for this.

Thanks,

Pankaj

We're in the same boat.  We have a SQL Managed Instance with a public endpoint enabled but the PowerBI service is saying we still require an on-premise gateway.  Is there a way to update the PowerBI service so it uses the SQL Managed Instance public endpoint?

It would be, because it is using a public endpoint it is like any other IP address of a SQL Server Instance.

If you had to use the Azure SQL DB name, that would allow it to use the Azure Services.

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

If you are using Azure SQL then it would not need a gateway.

If you are running SQL that is managed on a VM, it is the same as running On-Premise and it would require a gateway.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors