Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

brockoff

Do I need two gateways to access data on a shared SQL Server from two domains?

I have a client I have been working with, accessing data from an on-premise SQL Server instance (SQLServer.Domain.1) using Power BI (Domain1.com) using an on-premise gateway. All good.

He has a business relationship with another company  (Domain2.com) that uses the same on-premise SQL Server instance (SQLServer.Domain1.com).  Domain2.com would like to access their data on Domain1.com's servers (SQLServer1.Domain1.com) from within Domain2.com using PowerBI. 

(I hope I described this clearly. [:-}]

1) Do I need to install a second gateway to allow Domain2.com to access data? 

2) If not how do I configure it to allow access?

3) Is better/best practice to have a gateway for each domain rather than configuring one domain to allow access from two domains?

Thanks for the help!!

2 REPLIES 2
AbhiSSRS
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

You cannot install 2 standard gateways on a single machine and for 2 different tenants you will always need 2 different gateways signed in with the relevant tenant ids.

Now there are 2 possibilities you can explore :

Install 1 personal and 1 standard ( personal will cater to limited datasources only )

In case your datasets are import mode , you may explore to create a powershell script to change gateway configuration and sync with your dataset refreshes for respective tenants.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Data-Gateway-Automation-using-PowerShell-Part-1/ba-p...

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @brockoff ,

if I understand it right you want 2 Power BI Tenants (@domain1.com and @domain2.com) to connect to the on premises SQL Server database, right?

As far as I know a gateway is always connected with one Power BI Tenant. So from my understanding you need 2 different gateways that are both connecting to one tenant each and accessing the SQL Server.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors