Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I need to refresh dataset, report and dashboard each time?

Hi everyone,

I created a Power BI using Power BI desktop called "power bi test (05-Aug-21)" with import SQL server data sources, and uploaded it into a workspace online. This created a report and dataset with the same name. I then did "Pin a visual" on a few visuals in the report and inserted it into a dashboard called "CP07 Molly rejects last hour".

I'm trying to schedule hourly refreshes, so my question is: What do I need to refresh in order to refresh all of them? Just the dataset? The dataset and the report? All 3?

Do the report and dashboard refresh instantly after the dataset is refreshed? After some bit of lag? Thank you for any help!

power bi example (12-Aug-21).PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

you just need to refresh the data set. That's also the only option that can refresh.

A data set contains all of the data. The report and dashboard is then just the visualisation based on this data.

You can also create new reports based on this.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

you just need to refresh the data set. That's also the only option that can refresh.

A data set contains all of the data. The report and dashboard is then just the visualisation based on this data.

You can also create new reports based on this.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great, thanks!

and will the dashboard and report update immediately after the dataset refreshes? Or is there a time delay? Or does it not refresh until you refresh your browser?

@Anonymous The dashboard should update immediately when it's opened as it has a "live" feature. The report will show the data at the moment you open it. So if you open the report the latest data from the data set will be shown. When you then analyze the report and there is an update in the data set, the report will not reflect that until you click refresh or reopen the report. Then again the latest data from the dataset will be taken.

Hope that helps 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors