Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Bbrown44
Advocate II
Advocate II

Distribution Best Practices

Hi Fellow BI Users,

I am looking for some advise on determining the best approach to provide access to dashboards to my team that gives 10 members a "sandbox" that they can configure as they see fit while maintaining a "Master" workspace. We are currently implementing a Pilot initiaitve to determine if we can leverage and distribute  power bi dashboards to 1600 nyc public school principals.  For the pilot, I want them to be able to adjust the reports within the dashboard as they see fit while maintaining a master dashboard.

All users have Power BI Pro Licesnses. 

Do I create 10 different app or do I create 10 different workspaces?

Is there a way to make a duplicate dasboard without going to each tile and republishing to a new dashboard (I have 50 tiles/reports).

Currently when I give them permission to edit dashboard, if they save and manupulate components that other users may want  I have to go into the dashboard and reconfigure the properties.

In general, I haven't been able to find any documentation on methods/best practices on giving teams access to dashboards.

Note: I also put in a support ticket and was advise to use Content Packs, which seems odd as I thought Power BI was sunsetting the content packs and moving to APPs.

Please advise.

Here is a snapshot of the dashboard.Distribution Best Practices.JPG

3 REPLIES 3
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Bbrown44,

Based on my research, you do could duplicate a dashboard, you could refer to below link to have a view:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-dashboard-copy

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Daniel He,

I don't think this method would also duplicate the associated reports to the dashboard.  The documention you provided doesn't specify this and if a user edits an underlying report, that "Master" report would be edited.

I would like to provide my team with a complete copy of the dashboard and associated reports for them to edit.

Does this make sense?

~Bryon

Hi @Bbrown44,

From my research, I think you do could refer to support ticket's advice to use the content packs.

The content packs could let you to choose the contents to share and your colleagues can use them as-is, or they can create their own copies. You could also update the content packs when you make and save a change to the dashboard or reports included in your content packs.

Reference:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-organizational-content-pack-manage-update-delete

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors