Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

grangema
Frequent Visitor

Distribute to large audience

Hello ! 

I would like to know what would be your best approach regarding the following subject :

We have Premium licence.

We would like to deploy a generic report (containing composite model) to different clients (let say 100 with 150 users each) on our tenant. The report has a parameter called "Warehouse" which connect to the related client's warehouse. 

A client is not allowed to see other client's report/application name and needs to only get access to his own report/application.

How in general would you do distribute a report respecting these conditions?

For the moment, i've created a workspace for 1 client, published the report into it, and then created an application.

I was thinking of repeating that process for all clients, creating AAD Security groups, and then updating each app permission with the related AAD Security group ? But i'm not sure that the best way to handle that solution. 

What do you think ?

Thanks in advance,

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @grangema 

It would appear that this is your best option considering your data size and requirements from the business.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @grangema 

Why not just use Row Level Security and based on the logged in user they will just see the warehouse associated to their data?

This will save you a lot of time and effort and only need to maintain one report

here are details how to create RLS: Power BI Desktop Dynamic security cheat sheet - Kasper On BI

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ

Thanks for your answer. 

I know how RLS is working, i'm already using it inside this model to manage a part of the security.

Your option would be a good one if we were allowed to mix data between our different clients. And the volumetry is also huge for each datawarehouse, making me do that split by report for better performance in addition to the import part with my composite model.

Do you have any other idea ?

I didn't mention it, but my source is BigQuery and native query is not available yet (planned for September).

Thank you,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors