Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

terpsbmore
Helper I
Helper I

Displaying time as a number

Hello All,

I have been using Power Bi Service to connect to PowerPivot. I have formatted all of my columns correctly (number, decimal, time, etc..) however I am not able to get my time data to display in a bar chart. I believe I would need to format my time data as a number. When I format as a number it changes to a decimal which is not the best for my users when trying to make sense of the data.

I am reporting on the average engagement time per agent and the data is coming from a live chat platform. So each agent has multiple days in live chat and each day has an average. I am using a date table to filter by report so the average engagement length is an average of the days they were on live chat.

Any thoughts on how to get the data to display in a clustered (vertical) bar chart?

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @terpsbmore,

Did you attempt to display time field formatted like hh:mm:ss as values in a clustered chart? The Y-axis of a chart visual only supports numeric values, and fields added to it will be aggregated by default. If you add date or time or text field into Y-axis, it will be counted.

So, in your scenario, you have to convert the time field to numeric values. For example, convert 06:06:06 to 21966 seconds (or 0.27 days).

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the reply @v-yulgu-msft,

I have tried what you mentioned and formatted the time as a number and it sorts like it should. However, the issue I am having is the end user (consumer) of the chart will want to know the length of time at a glance and not have to figure out the conversion of the numerical value. I might decide to display in a table format. I appreciate the help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors