Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jhare

Displaying text data to a card

I have a dashboard that is displaying data outputs from Azure Stream Analytics as a streaming data set. Two of the outputs are text representing the activity that corresponds with the data being sent. Is there a way to display this text data from within a card so that the user can easily see the displayed activity result? If it is not possible through a card, is there a different way of doing this. 

I am looking to achieve something similar to the left column of the image below, but when I try to create a card, none of my text columns appear as a input.

jhare_0-1596131476235.jpeg

5 REPLIES 5
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @jhare ,

If you use a card with text the default is to use only the "first" text result.  Cards are better used for counts and numbers than they are for text.  If you want the card to be a representation of the data in the visual, you will have to create a measure based on your data and then have that measure give you a text result that you are looking for in the card.

If you don't want to create a measure, you could try to use the Multi-row card or an Advanced card and then have a slicer which affects both the card and the visuals.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Thanks for the response @collinq.

However, since this dashboard is being built using the web version of Power BI, would there be a way my desired outcome using only the functionalities of the web version. A live dashboard such as this was the desired outcome and I was under the impression that it could only be made using the web version of Power BI.

Thanks.

Hi @jhare ,

I am nost sure what you mean by "live"?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hey @collinq, sorry for the ambiguity.

The dataset used is a streaming dataset that updates in real time and my users want to be able to see the updates displayed as they come in.

Please excuse my ignorance, Power BI is pretty new to me 

Hi @jhare ,

This article will help you understand the required settings.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-real-time-streaming

There may be licensing and Azure settings considerations that you will have to take into account.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors