Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JulianZhai
Regular Visitor

Discrepancy between power bi desktop and service

Hi,

My data source is snowflake.

Both the desktop file and the service report are hown to be refreshed. There's no gateway issue for the service report to access the data source.

All filters are set as the same on both sides as well.

Any suggestions on what else might be causing the discrepancies in the numbers? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @JulianZhai 

According to my previous experience and research, the same report on the general desktop and the service displays different data in the same data filtering and slicing situation because the data calculation or filter logic uses the DAX or M function related to the current time or uses the relative date filter/slicer, the time used in the relative date on the desktop is the time zone of the current computer, and the time zone of the current time used on the service is UTC0. This is why this discrepancy is possible.

For a detailed explanation and solution to this problem, you can refer to this blog:

Power BI Service Time Differences and How to Fix It (linkedin.com)

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JulianZhai
Regular Visitor

Thanks Aniya.

It points me at the right direction. It was the change in timestame which caused the discrepancy in the reported numbers.

However the solution in the link  didn't help fix the issue. The discrepancy still exists.

It seems that the change of time only happens for the data pulled from cloud-based database. I did an experiment on data stored on my harddrive and the date doesn't change after publishing.

It seems that the only solution is to manually create a new adjusted date column using DAX, unless you have other suggestions? Thanks.

Julian

v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @JulianZhai 

According to my previous experience and research, the same report on the general desktop and the service displays different data in the same data filtering and slicing situation because the data calculation or filter logic uses the DAX or M function related to the current time or uses the relative date filter/slicer, the time used in the relative date on the desktop is the time zone of the current computer, and the time zone of the current time used on the service is UTC0. This is why this discrepancy is possible.

For a detailed explanation and solution to this problem, you can refer to this blog:

Power BI Service Time Differences and How to Fix It (linkedin.com)

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors