Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hemal_kanjia
Helper I
Helper I

Disable to download pbix file & able to connect to live Dataset

Hello all,

I have one Workspace which has the report and Dashboard.

I have added some users who are Member of a Workspace with "Users can edit the Power BI Content".

Basically, what i want to do is that users should not download the .pbix file from the Power bi online (Dataset and from File Menu), but they are able to connect to live Dataset (from Power Bi Desktop), so that, they can create their own report from existing dataset and can publish that to the workspace.

If i disable the export data feature from "Power BI Admin Portal", user will not download the pbix file. But, they will also not able to connect to live dataset from Power BI Desktop and that i don't want.

There is also one reason to do that is when the user connects the live dataset through desktop, RLS will applied. and also when the user will publish the report to the workspace, my original report will remain same. So, there is no duplication of Dataset and Overwrite of the report will occur.

Overall, I want to implement below things:

(1) User should not download the pbix file from Power BI Online ( i can achieve by disable the export data feature)

(2) User should connect to the Live Dataset through Power BI Desktop ( user can't do this thing, becasue above feature is disabled) so that, my RLS can work fine.

Thanks is advance.

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @hemal_kanjia,

Power bi already told this option also control live connection features. I don' think you can modify this option to keep live connection 'on' and export data 'off'.
Users in the organization can export data from a tile or visualization. This also controls the Analyze in Excel and Power BI Service Live Connect features.

Perhaps you can try to submit idea for improve this option to add sub-options.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft

Thank you for your reply, Do you mean below?

if we enable the Export Data, the user will be able to download the PBIX file, (which will not have RLS Implemented) and also has the capability to connect to Power BI live connection (which will have RLS implemented).

If I want to ensure Both Points, i.e. 1. RLS implemented and 2. enable end users to have Self service capability of Power BI, That's not possible as of now.

Self Service Capability feature is one of the major reasons for many to choose the Power BI as a tool. If data security and Self Service can’t be achieved at the same time then it would not be a good solution at organization level. This needs to be corrected asap.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors