Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Disable the ability to Publish to Microsoft Service (Cloud) in Report Server

Hi all,

My client are interested in adopting PBI but without somehow restricting the option of publishing to the cloud, it is likely to be refused. I appreciate that limiting the licensing to Pro only and potentially making tweaks to the firewall are possible options but is there a proven solution out there to remove this functionality? Even the risk of publishing to cloud is too great here unfortunately.

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuaj-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

As far as I know, if you want to organize a user to publish a report to the service, you can disable all his "publish and share" functions. (As @StefanoGrimaldi  said ) In this way he can only publish reports to my workspace. Regarding the option you mentioned, I doubt whether it exists.

Hope that's what you were looking for.

Best Regards,

Yuna

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

easy, if you mean to avoid being able to get to the service of power BI web simply you can retire the free licence from the user so they cant access at all to the power bi service, 

now if you want them to be able to get to the Power BI service but dont be able to publish to the power bi web service in the power bi tenant administration center you can pretty much deny access to almost every aspect of the power bi service itself here a example of the exact option to avoid bein able to publish even to personal workspace: 

StefanoGrimaldi_0-1611359379770.png

sorry mine its in spanish. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

but in this portal you can configure almost all possible actions, you can specify exactly to whom to deny the access to it to a specific security group etc, deny exportings options, sharing options etc. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Stefano, Thank you !

So using an example... lets say User 1 has a power BI Pro license (but is not Administrator) and their role is to keep the report updated and publish to Report Server only (On Premise) - does the action of the below allow them save to Report Server only and not Publish to cloud ? example pictures...

MrMED87_4-1611393167679.png

MrMED87_2-1611393073243.png

(Ideally want to diasable the option below only)

MrMED87_3-1611393121736.png

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors