Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nathanh
Regular Visitor

Disable "see records" on a web dashboard

I've been using Power BI web dashboards for a while, but just realised it is possible to view the records behind a visual, not just the aggregated data. I would like to turn this off so that I can hide sensitive data. Is there any way to do this? 

As an example, this was published on the Power BI blog and exposes names and locations of individuals. This is often not desirable or necessary. 

Thanks for your help in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@nathanh there is no out of the box way but before publishing from power bi desktop if you right click columns and hide them then they won't appear under See Records. Also if you change mechanism to directquery rather than import you won't get See records option but those are the only two ways I know so far and first one is better but that also means you won't be able to use that column in any visuals.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@nathanh

You can try with the ways provided by ankitpatira and please vote this idea here.

Best Regards,

Herbert

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@nathanh there is no out of the box way but before publishing from power bi desktop if you right click columns and hide them then they won't appear under See Records. Also if you change mechanism to directquery rather than import you won't get See records option but those are the only two ways I know so far and first one is better but that also means you won't be able to use that column in any visuals.

Is this solution still working?  I have hidden all the columns from my report.  I don't see them in the fields list now.  I have published this report and I still see 'See Records'

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can try to do the following:

In every visual where you e.g. count an ID or sum up something these might show the "See records" label

Use a measure instead of the built in counting or summing functions (in the fields -> values part of your visual):

e.g. set a measure to count your IDs or sum up your values and then put this measure as the value in your visual

Now the "see records" in Power BI service should translate into "show data" and your users can only see the aggregations but not the actual IDs or sales values etc.

Let me know if it worked

Thanks - hiding the columns solves the problem for me 🙂 

@nathanh I know there are tenant settings to disable "export", but I'm not aware of any way to disable "see records" or "see data"..

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors