Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mgr33n85
Regular Visitor

Disable analyze in Excel option

Hi

I know that there is several posts about this subject already. I have read them all, but still I can't get it to work. We have our dataset on Premise and PowerBI refeshes data once a day.

1) I want to disable "Analyze in Excel" either on workspace level or report level. I have tried to disable "Export Data" on report level, but that does not do the trick. I still have these options.

mgr33n85_0-1633073394390.png

2) I have also tried to disable it on Tenant level with these two options.

"Export to Excel" and "Allow XMLA endpoints and Analyze in Excel with on-premises datasets".

mgr33n85_1-1633074158553.png

mgr33n85_2-1633074188448.png

But I still have "Analyze in Excel" option. Which settings are missing since its not working?

Regards,

Martin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @mgr33n85 

No, it can't. This setting is global and cannot work individually per report or per workspace.

Your demand is a good idea, while it is not supported to implement in Power BI currently.
You can submit a new idea to improve the Power BI.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/

It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Is the above answer helpful to you?
If my post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.Thank you😀

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
mgr33n85
Regular Visitor

Hi

Its reports published on powerbi.com, not via app.  

Hi, @mgr33n85 

You just need to disable this option "Allow live connections"

vangzhengmsft_0-1633397648409.png

result:

vangzhengmsft_1-1633397657111.png

refer:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-portal#allow-live-connections

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, it works.

Do you know if it can be done per Workspace or per report? Instead of doing it globally.

Hi, @mgr33n85 

No, it can't. This setting is global and cannot work individually per report or per workspace.

Your demand is a good idea, while it is not supported to implement in Power BI currently.
You can submit a new idea to improve the Power BI.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/

It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Is the above answer helpful to you?
If my post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.Thank you😀

Best Regards,

This is not a solution. This problem still remains. No easy way to block sensitive data in reports from being seen by others at an individual report or workspace level. Microsoft needs to fix this.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

It pains me to say that but you need to remove the Build permissions from the app or from each user you shared with outside the app.

Please reconsider - "Analyze in Excel"  is one of the more important features in Power BI (together with "Personalize visual"). If you take that away you risk alienating your users.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors