Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

justinh
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Disable Refresh Upon Publish?

When I refresh a dataset in Desktop, make some changes like adding RLS roles, and then publish to the Service, the Service then does another refresh on the dataset. This prevents me from adding people to the new RLS roles that I created until the refresh is complete. In the case of my dataset, this is adding an extra 45-60 minutes to the process and seems completely unneeded. 

Is there any way to prevent the Service from refreshing the dataset when published? 

Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MichaelOgaz
Advocate I
Advocate I

@justinh 

If you have scheduled refresh enabled for your dataset in the PowerBI service then a refresh will be run for your dataset every time you re-publish it from PowerBI Desktop. They way I avoid this is by disabling the scheduled refresh, publish my dataset then re-enable the scheduled refresh. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MichaelOgaz
Advocate I
Advocate I

@justinh 

If you have scheduled refresh enabled for your dataset in the PowerBI service then a refresh will be run for your dataset every time you re-publish it from PowerBI Desktop. They way I avoid this is by disabling the scheduled refresh, publish my dataset then re-enable the scheduled refresh. 

Thank you @MichaelOgaz

This work-around is exactly what I was looking for.

It would be nice if this issue didn't exist, but so long as it does, I'm glad there is a way around it.

Thanks. 

v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @justinh ,

Do  you mean the OneDrive on demand refresh  in refresh history after your fininsh published your pbix file? If you are using Import Mode, when you publish your pbix file, it will upload all the data (visual, layout, data, qurey, RLS roles) into your service and replace the old, it will start when you start publish your pbix file, and end when the publish task in power bi desktop finished.

12.PNG

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I do have some data in my dataset that originates from Onedrive, so that may be the cause of the refresh when published. The refresh takes 30 minutes and includes a full refresh from our on premise databases, not just a quick refresh of Onedrive data. It appears that the OneDrive refresh may trigger a full refresh when published. Is that the case? 

2019-10-14 09_39_16-Window.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors