Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

xli629b
Helper II
Helper II

DirectQuery report takes a long time to update after a parameter is updated

I have a report connected to a PostgresSQL database with DirectQuery through a gateway. It has a parameter tableName for the table it queries. If I update the parameter via the REST API, the parameter value immediately gets updated according to the result of Get Parameters with the REST API.

However, the report still shows the data for the previous value of the parameter, and from the DB logs, PBI still queried the DB with the old value of the parameter. This remains the case when if I repeated click the "Refresh" button.

The report gets updated in 8-30 minutes. Why would the parameter take so long to update?

4 REPLIES 4
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @xli629b ,

When the dataset is refreshed, cloud service creates a query, sends the query to a queue for the gateway to process, and then pushes the request to azure service bus.
So it will solve the requests one by one, not at the same time.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

When I press refresh, I see from the database log that a query immediately ran with the new parameter. So it seems that it's not waiting for the gateway to query the database though.

Hi @xli629b ,

DirectQuery is a direct connection to data source. Data will not be stored in Power BI model.
As a result, your report performance in these cases depends largely on the performance of the underlying data source.
You could learn more about performance:

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

The underlying data source responds immediately as we see when we query it directly and from the logs, so that should not be the cause of the delay.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors