Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DirectQuery data is not fresh on powerBI service

I have 2  Azure SQL based reports that utilizes DirectQuery mode. Report are pretty similar business-wise, datamodel-wise. One is little bit more extended for premium clients. One of them is not behaving on powerBI service and embedded as expected. For the sake of discussion lets call working one: X and not working one: Y.

Introduction:

It is 6th December 2021 and I applied some changes in powerBI Desktop to both, Z and Y reports. I also hit refresh button. I save and upload it to powerBI service. Both dashboard display last observations and its date and I can see that both of them are showing latest data correctly (which is 6th Dec). After few days I get report from client that report Y was not refreshed.

- > I check in client embedded app - it is not refreshed (it looks like snapshot from 6th Dec).

- > I check in powerBI service - it is not refreshed (it looks like snapshot from 6th Dec).

- > I check the data in SQL tables - it IS refreshed there.

- > I check on my desktop version - it IS refreshed there.

OK, thats weird.

- >I reupload  Y report from my dekstop (which is displaying fresh data correctly) without hitting refresh button.

- > It is refreshed on powerBI service. 

- > I hit refresh visuals button on the report page. 

- > It comes back to snapshot from 6th Dec!!! 

Im confused.

- > I hit refresh now button in powerBI service to refresh dataset.

- > I hit refresh visuals button.

- > It IS refreshed as expected.

-> Issue happens again next day...

On top of that, report X is working as expected. There is direct connection to database and it shows latest data on the report. No hitting refresh now button required! I compared ALL (by all I really mean every possible) setting of the:

-dataset on powerBI service

-report on powerBI service

-desktop file 

and they are exactly the same for X and Y reports.

Might be worth mentioning:

1) report Y once a POC, was based on parquet files and the migrated to Azure SQL tables. Without deleting visuals, just replacing data sources (maybe some caching mechanism?).

2) both reports uses bookmarks for some predefined date filtering.  

Any idea what might be the reason? There MUST be something wrong somewhere, as both reports are really similar, using same database, similar data, same bookmarks type. Last thing that probably WILL help is to drop report Y all together and recreate it, but I would rather avoid that.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to set pages to auto refresh?

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

With Direct Query the end user must perform some sort of action (changing filters etc) to refresh the data.  Unless you have the report pages set to auto refresh.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors