Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

blackshep01
Frequent Visitor

DirectQuery Auto Refresh Dashboard Every 60 Seconds

I have a request to create a dashboard that auto-updates every 60 seconds.  This dashboard will be in a hallway for doctors to see their next cases.  I understand that I will need to use DirectQuery.  How do I get the dashboard tiles to auto-update by themselves without having someone hit the refresh button every 60 seconds.   Please help.

5 REPLIES 5
binit

Hi,

I know this is old thread but Iam curious if you were able to get this working and which approach did you use ? I have a similar requirement of auto refresh every 60 secs with DirectQuery.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello binit, any solution you've found? I've tried multiple ways without luck. My last attempt was as follow:

1. Extract the data using Azure Data Factory (pipeline with a REST activity to GET the needed data from a API call into a Azure BLOB json format. This pipeline can be triggered and scheduled every 1min or in seconds.

2. Get the data in Power BI directly connecting to the Azure Blob Storage previous created .json file in previous step

However, Power BI is not auto refreshing even though the source data is being updated every min.

@blackshep01 There are threads on here that have provided solutions such that you would display the report page and have a 3rd party extension refresh the page which should kick off a refresh. Another possible solution that may provide the best route is to use a "Push" dataset. This is essentially using the API's to create a dataset and when you push a refresh the dashboard tiles automatically update.

Info here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-real-time-streaming/

Another option that I just saw recently but don't know if it applies to your data source off hand would be using Microsoft Flow to Push the data, details here:https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/push-rows-to-a-power-bi-streaming-dataset-without-writing-a...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer  The dataset that I am going to use is a  SQL Server dataset.  Will a "Push" dataset work in this instance?

@blackshep01 I'm not a developer but the answer should be "yes", I'm still digging into this area. It would require custom development, and the examples outlined here should give you an idea if it is something you would want to pursue.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors