Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mathias_berlin
Frequent Visitor

Direct Query with BigQuery - Authentication error on PowerBI service but working on Desktop

Hello Community, 

we run several PowerBI Workbooks with a direct connection to Google BigQuery. Unfortunately, starting yesterday, these workbooks cannot be accessed anymore as the service throws the following error message:

• Message The credentials provided cannot be used for the GoogleBigQuery source. (Source at GoogleBigQuery.)

Checking the Workbook on a PowerBI Desktop instance, everything work fine. Does someone else has this problem as well or has an idea how to fix this?

Thank you and greetings

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi guys,

Yeah, Power BI engineering team has resolved an issue impacting customers loading or refreshing reports using Google BigQuery in DirectQuery mode. Following the applied solution customers are required to re-enter credentials for the affected Dataset. To re-enter credentials navigate to Dataset Settings for affected datasets and re-enter credentials through “Edit credentials” under the Data source credentials section.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
mschrade
Frequent Visitor

We are stuck on this issue as well since 5/15.  Have a ticket in with support since 5/18 but haven't gotten anywhere.  

I'd also add that we converted a dataset from DirectQuery to Import and continue to get the scheduled refresh auth error.  So seems to be affecting Import as well.

I received feedback from the support team today, that the issue has been acknowledged and fixed. You can read about an update here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/de-de/support/

Nope, doesn't work for me.

I can now confirm that it does work for me. It just took some time, I don't know why. But all my reports aber back!

Issue is resolved for us as well!  Scheduled refresh began working on 5/21 at around 4:30pm MDT 

Hi guys,

Yeah, Power BI engineering team has resolved an issue impacting customers loading or refreshing reports using Google BigQuery in DirectQuery mode. Following the applied solution customers are required to re-enter credentials for the affected Dataset. To re-enter credentials navigate to Dataset Settings for affected datasets and re-enter credentials through “Edit credentials” under the Data source credentials section.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I tried, but unfortunately for me it's not working.

kjksigma
Regular Visitor

I am experiencing the same issue since May 16.

Support has not been able to resolve this for me yet.

What I have tried:

- Republishing

- Clearing permissions in Power BI Desktop

- Signing in again on the dataset in Power BI Service

- Deleting the report and republishing

- Publishing to another workspace

- Tried a different BigQuery user

Have also been in contact with the BigQuery team, that denies that they have any issue.

For me the issue comes and goes, but is mostly present, meaning the report is unavailable at least 90 % during the day with only small periods of access.

@kjksigma, were you able to resolve this issue, if yes, can you please share how? I have been stuck on this for 3 weeks now and I also tried all the steps you described, still getting the same schedule refresh error.

@NoirPlatypus I am afraid I can no longer remember history of this. I made have solved it by switching method completely. I had a dashboard working for some time. As far as I remember it was a published report that auto refreshed in a browser.

alexortiz84
Regular Visitor

Hi. I had the same issue. I had problems using Chrome to edit credentials. When using Edge it worked properly and now I can acces from any browser. Regards,

Alex Ortiz Ríos

Thanks for your feedback! Interesting idea - unfortunately it did not work. The Sheet accepts the credentials but fails to load afterwards. 

Hi guys,

@alexortiz84 said it works fine with MS Edge. Does the method work for you all? What version of Google Chrome do you use? I test with 81.0.4044.138 (Official Build) (64-bit). And authentication method is OAuth2 and privacy level is setting none in my sample. It is running smoothly in my site. 

Best Regards,
Xue Ding

Hi, we're having the same problem, but the issue doesn't appear always, sometimes the report loads correctly but when trying to open it later the error appears again.

In our case, it did not work trying to authenticate for MS Edge.

Version of edge: Microsoft Edge 44.18362.449.0

Version of chrome: Version 81.0.4044.138

Hey there, unfortunately I do not have a fix for this issue. I've been in touch with several PowerBI support agents and they confirmed this bug. They are trying to escalate it to the engineering team to get it fixed properly. 

Hopefully this will work soon!

I tried in Google Chrome and in Firefox. I cannot try another browser, because I am using a Mac. It does accept the credentials, but when accessing the sheet, it does not work. This problem is only related to Direct Query, not Import Queries. 

I have different PowerBI setups and all of them are affected. So it must be a broader issue as more people already mentioned these in the community.

Here is the error that has been shared by the Support Team:

{"Start":"2020-05-18T12:58:32.8811345Z","Action":"SimpleDocumentEvaluator/GetResult<IDataReaderSource>","HostProcessId":"14704","PartitionKey":"Section1/Cancellation_Terminations/AutoRemovedColumns1","Exception":"Exception:\r\nExceptionType: Microsoft.Mashup.Engine.Interface.InvalidResourceCredentialsException, Microsoft.MashupEngine, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35\r\nMessage: An error occurred while trying to refresh an OAuth token.\r\nStackTrace:\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SimpleDocumentEvaluator.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.<BeginGetResult>b__0(EvaluationResult2`1 result)\r\n\r\n\r\n","ProductVersion":"2.81.5844.1","ActivityId":"61575170-3d88-2a11-016a-2b11c9daf670","Process":"Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX45","Pid":4168,"Tid":1,"Duration":"00:00:01.0484410"}

Hi @mathias_berlin ,

I just find that you have created a support ticket. Please re-contact to the engineer about your situation till the issue has been resolved.  

In forums, we can't test with your actual report.  So it's hard for us to provide any more support about this issue now. Sorry for that. Hope it will be fixed as soon as possible. And please share the solution once you have resolved it.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding

@mathias_berlin having same issues. I would appreciate some feedback if you find a solution.

I've got feedback from the support after creating a ticket. It was suggested to reupload the sheet into another workspace what did not help. Same issue as before. The credentials work local, but not in the PowerBI Service.

PowerBI-client
Regular Visitor

Unfortunately, we're having the same issue since May 16 (saturday night).

We tried updating the BigQuery credentials, but it only worked for an hour before failing again. Sometimes, it would even indicate that the credentials we set do not have access to the dataset even if it has the right credentials to the dataset. It seems that the BigQuery credentials keep failing on our direct query datasets.

However, it also works fine on PowerBI Desktop.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors