Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PBCIT
Frequent Visitor

Direct Query to Power BI Dataset Composite Models and Dataset Permissions

Hello Everyone,

I created a report based off of a dataset in a different workspace (Workspace A), then uploaded it to a new workspace (Workspace B). The dataset did have changes made to it in the composite model, so I ended up with a local model as well that also got uploaded. I went to "Manage Permissions" on both datasets and ensured that my user had read access on both. The user was then added as a member of the Workspace B. I also added the user to the app created from Workspace B. 

I started noticing that the visuals in the new report based on the dataset in Workspace A weren't rendering for that user. On a different user's account, the visuals worked perfectly. To test, I added the user to Workspace A as a viewer as well to see if that would help. The visuals still did not render. I then increased the membership level to "Member" for that user on Workspace A and Voila! The visuals rendered and worked perfectly. 

I'm not so sure I want that user as a member in Workspace A though as it contains reports from other departments in my company. I also wanted to make them viewers because they are new to Power BI and I didn't want them to accidentally delete or change anything. I thought, with "Manage Permissions", they wouldn't have to be on the workspace of the dataset (it worked with shared Power BI datasets; the users didn't have to be associated with the actual workspace of the dataset).  I was moving to composite models so I wouldn't have to repeat my models and would only have to load the data in them once as opposed to in every report I create. If there is no real workaround for this, my plan is to make a common workspace for datasets I use often so that I have no qualms with the user being a member of that workspace. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you do to workaround this issue, or is there a solution I am missing?

4 REPLIES 4
TSHECKEL
Advocate II
Advocate II

We've struggled with this as well until we discovered that the end user is required to have Build permissions on the shared dataset. However, this is only the case when the report that was created from the shared dataset also contains an additional data source and in turn creating it's own dataset. If the report created from the shared dataset does not have an additional data source, the end user only requires View permissions on the shared dataset.

The issue with the first scenario is that we may not want our end users to have the ability to connect to the shared dataset which is a possibility with assigning them Build permissions.

prill2ta
Advocate II
Advocate II

I am having this same issue.  The only fix is to grant content consumers 'Contributor' or higher permissions which we can't do for security reasons.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Nexter 

If you want the user to be able to edit and create reports then they need to have the role of member of contributor.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @PBCIT 

This is a current limitation with the Composite models and this will be fixed in future release as far as I am aware.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors