Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Teige_Gao
Frequent Visitor

Direct Query on Dataflow

Hi all,

When can we set up the direct query on Dataflow? It looks like that all data are imported into dataset when we use dataflow.

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-xuding-msft 
Please advise:
I am unclear what the Direct Query option in Power BI Dataflows offers me. From what I understand it looks like this addresses the connection between the Power BI dataset and the dataflow. Does this also extend to the connection between the dataflow and the source database?

I have a use-case where I would like to direct query the source, is this scenario supported in Power BI Dataflows using Direct Query mode? (i.e. is (2) supported from the descriptions below?):

1. Direct Query from Power BI to Dataflow, but that the dataflow is still on a scheduled refresh, i.e. I have a ‘live’ connection to the dataflow, but this dataflow is only refreshed at a schedule;
  2. Direct Query from Dataflow to Source, i.e. the dataflow queries the source at request and therefore my data is ‘live’ w.r.t. the source.

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi all,

You could reference the document: Use DirectQuery with dataflows in Power BI (preview) to have a try.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI,

Dataflow can be accessed with Direct Query or Import, you now habe the choice. Which is important, considering the pros and cons of both modes.2020-05-05_092246.jpg

Didier

@dataflows 

How do you get this option? Can you post some more snapshots pls. I have the latest may version but dont see this. All the prerequisits like premium capacity workspace dataflow, capacity setting enabled for enhanced compute engine are all set..

We are considering using the Azure SQL database and Azure data lake to replace the dataflow. I think it would be a good idea.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Teige_Gao I can imagine. Unfortunately our Data Lake isn't easily transfered, mainly due to sheer size and applications that run on it. So I'm going to give it a bit more time and hope that this is just a bug that will be resolved soon.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here.

I even tried editing the 'Source' step in the Power Query Editor. When you press the gear-icon it lets you choose between Import and DirectQuery, but when you actually try to 'Close and Apply', you'll get the following message:

'This query contains transformations that can't be used for DirectQuery.'

The only transformations we do in the underlying dataflows is appending a few other dataflows. Can't find any information from MS about possible issues with the newly released feature, so curious what we're doing wrong.

@Anonymous , what Is the version of power bi desktop you are using?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes every artcile on Dataflow have been grossly misleading!

They never spoke about this limitation. We were made to beleive that Reports will be able to ingest Dataflows in DirecyQuery (Live connection) manner. Whats more worse is that all Datasets now have to depend on a Dataflow to be refreshed! Make no sense to have Dataflow in the first place. I would rather load my data from my DB

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Teige_Gao ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as the solution to close the case please. More people will benefit from here.Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Teige_Gao ,

The dataflows functionality is in preview, such a requirement is not supported by now. Someone has submitted this idea here, and it is under review which might be added in the future release.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors