Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

brentphillips
Regular Visitor

Direct Query not working on app.powerbi

I have created a report in PowerBI Desktop that uses direct query to connect to an Azure SQL Database.

I have then published this to the powerbi service, gone to the dataset and entered the credentials for that sql database.

However, when i update data in the azure sql database it doesn't show on the report online unless I do a manual refresh.

My understanding was direct query goes directly to the database for data. Am i missing something?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@brentphillips when you update data in the table in azure sql db (and no interaction on power bi dashboard) then dashboard tiles will be updated automatically approx every 15 minutes. however if you click on slicer or do some filtering for that tile then query will be sent back to azure sql db and you will see the updated data on the tile.

Hi Ankitpatira,

This is to do with reports. Even after waiting overnight and filtering data it still doesn't direct query data. I have to do a manual refresh to update the data.

Hi brentphillips,

Have you tried to user fiddler to capture a network trace?

From the trace we could be able to check the query details when interact with Visuals in the reports.

Fiddler Web Debugger Tool

I will try to set up some tests on this, there might be some time delay before I could share any results here.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors