Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dcao
Frequent Visitor

Direct Query for Power BI Datasets cannot display visuals for one of the datasets for App viewers

I am connected to 2 power bi datasets through Direct Query with the new Dec feature.

I have granted the users access to the app as usual.

The problem is that they can only see data from one of the data sets.

If I give them access to the workspace as members, then the visuals show up fine, but that's not what I want because now I cannot enable RLS with them being members of the workspace. 

dcao_0-1610133003526.png

14 REPLIES 14
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @JensG ,

All user accessing the app must have read permission (this is not the same as the security configuration) on all involved datasets, this assumes that all involved datasets are residing in a Premiumn workspace. If this assumption is wrong, then these users also need build permission, at least this has been the case for quite some time.

Providing read access does not require assigning users to the workspace itself.

Hopefully, this helps.

Regards,
Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hi Tom,

thanks for your quick reply, unfortunately this App is not on a Premium Workspace.

As I´m not willing to give all app users the build permission, I copied the underlying power query also in that other report. Now it is working but without having the benefit of reusing a dataset.

regards

Jens

JensG
Advocate II
Advocate II

I´m having exactly the same issue, is there any further update on this?

Other then rebuildig and avoid using direct queries within Apps, even if the direct query source is used and published via same App?

william1212

Hi @dcao , we are having the exact same issue where the user has to be a member to view but then RLS doesn't work. Have you found a way around this?

I did notice the below in the limitations, but as far as I can tell we are on the new workspaces:

william1212_0-1639460731212.png

franksb89

Hi @dcao ,

Have you ever figured out if it's possible to enable directquery a dataset shared through an app?

Kind regards,

Frank

No, I just stopped using the direct query feature and went back to just sourcing my reports from 1 power bi dataset (live connection). 

kevhav
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

We are experiencing this same issue. We are not using RLS at all. We are testing out Using DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview).

We have DatasetA and DatasetB, both in WorkspaceX. And WorkspaceX is in Premium Capacity. We created a new "Test.pbix" file with a live, "Power BI datasets" connection to DatasetA; and a live, "Power BI datasets" connection to DatasetB. And we combined tables from the two datasets in a single data model in "Test.pbix"

It works in Power BI Desktop. I published "Test.pbix" to WorkspaceX, and I can view the report in the workspace. I added "Test" to the app in WorkspaceX and updated the app. I can go into the app and view the report, and it works. Also, everything works for other users who are members of WorkspaceX and have Pro licenses.

However, for our users who are not members of WorkspaceX and don't have Pro licenses...when they open the report in the app, they get an error on any visual that has data from DatasetA ("Can't display the visual"). But if the visual has data only from DatasetB, they can see it just fine.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @dcao 

I think the key answer to your issue is the link you provided, There are multiple limitations

aj1973_1-1610756734350.png

Are you applying one of those limitation to Dataset A?

Another quetion that came to mind, are Dataset A and B connected via the same Gateway?

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @dcao 

Yes you can deploy RLS to the datasets. The Row Level Security needs to be set in Power Bi desktop though.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

dcao
Frequent Visitor

Hey Amine,

Yes, but what I meant was that I'm connected to 2 power bi datasets.

However, one of that datasets is giving blank visuals for users with view permission to the app.

If I give them access to the workspace as members, then the visuals work. I don't know why, but I don't want that because now RLS will not work because they're member of the workspace

dcao_0-1610322299905.png

dcao_1-1610322382090.png

Hi, @dcao 

Maybe you just forgot to manage security on your model .

Datasets->Security->Row-Level Security-> select  one of the 'role'  you create on PowerBI Desktop -> enter the Members' email addresses to assign the  role

For more details , please refer to this document.

manage-security-on-your-model 

If you are using Dynamic RLS ,please recheck your \userprincipalname formats.

RLS-working-with-desktop-but-not-on-service-after-publishing 

using-the-username-or-userprincipalname-dax-function 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

I don't think you guys are understanding my issue. 

The problem is that I have reports connected to 2 power bi data sets ( Direct Query for Power BI Data Sets). My users have view access to the App. The visuals from 1 of the power bi datasets are not showing up in the service, but if I give them access to the workspace as memebers, then the visuals show up fine.

However, I don't want them to be members of the workspace. I just want them to have view access to the app. 

I can confirm that this issue is very valid and is recently bothering us in a very similar setup. 
Trying to rephrase the issue from my perspective, maybe someone has new ideas for a solution?

Published Power BI App uses two file sources: One direct query, one import. 
As soon as fields from the direct query are used, the visuals show errors to the user (! In the published App, not in the Desktop version when I am working on the report)

BA2023_QA_0-1688746913250.png

The users experiencing these issues have build permission for 
- the Power BI dataset of the App that contains the visuals that throw errors (see screenshot)

- the Power BI dataset that is connected to the App via DirectQuery.
The sensitivity level of both reports is Internal. 

Note: I have duplicated the page shown above and linked the visuals to the exact same dataset from the DirectQuery, but via an Import. Result: The users can see the visuals that use the imported dataset. The users get errros for the page with the visuals connected to the DirectQuery dataset.

In short:
Database 1 -> (Import) -> Power BI Report A : User sees all visuals
Database 1 -> (Import) Power BI Report B -> (DirectQuery) -> Power BI Report A: User gets errors

-> I am struggling to understand what other permissions I could still grant users to make them be able to view the visuals again.

Any ideas?

Hi @BA2023_QA 

I am having the same issue as you, but with one data source and only a handful of users.  Again they have all the correct permissions and can access it if I use Import Query, but not if I use Data via the app through DirectQuery.

I have tried everything in this solution https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Developer/Couldn-t-Load-the-data-for-this-visual/m-p/24377... I have tried removing and re adding the datasets and reports to see if there was a conflict.  Still not managed to get it to work...

Anyone had any luck on this error?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors