Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jelleroest
Frequent Visitor

Direct Query broken in Power BI Service (composite model)

I've read a lot of posts, but did not find the solution to this problem, so I hope anyone can help. I've created a fairly simple report in which I'm using direct query on 4 tables in an Azure SQL Server database and join that with an Excel file. I've published it to Power BI Service and it worked as expected.

Now, after publishing some updates in the report, I'm getting an error:

Snip error.png

And somehow the option to edit credentials is also not available anymore:

Snip error 2.png

Does anyone know what could be happening here and how to solve it? On Power BI Desktop it's still working as expected and I'm not getting any errors of warnings. I did not use any DAX in this report and I'm not aware of any other 'features' I could be using that prevent Direct Query to be available.

Thanks for helping me out!

4 REPLIES 4
venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@jelleroest 

Click on "Gateway Connection" and select the Gateway if it is required.

Once the above step is done, please click on"Data Source Credentials" and try to evaluate.

if any error, please click on "show details" and share the error information in the support ticket.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Use tha above link to submit a support ticket. So that the team will investigate more on this issue.

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jelleroest ,

Based on the error message, you need to check if you have added all the data sources into gateway. And remember choose the following option.

2.PNG

Then match the gateway in the gateway connection.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-xuding-msft what I don't understand is that I'd need a Gateway as I'm only trying to connect to cloud resources...

In the end I think I managed to solve the problem by changing the way it loads the Excel file (that was the non-direct query part). In Power Query I've changed File.Content with a link to my personal OneDrive to Web.Content with a link to a shared Sharepoint (Teams) location.

After a few updates, this one is still not broken, so hopefully this was what caused the problem initially.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors