Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tushartechlab
Advocate II
Advocate II

Direct Query With Publish to Web (embedded code link) not working

Hey DataGeeks,

I created a report and published it to Power BI Service on the cloud. It had a few reports working in "direct query" mode and some in "import" mode. It all worked well normally, but with the "Publish To Web" (Embedded Code Link) when I see the reports running on direct query are not working. Microsoft Documentation does mention that Live Data Connections are a limitation with publish to web functionality, but no where is a mention of "Direct Query" not functioning with this.

Please let me know where am I going wrong in configuring it (are there any special configurations on the Power BI Service needed for this?), and if Direct Query is not working with Publish To Web, do we have that mentioned somewhere on Microsoft / Power BI sites/documentations?

Help on this is much appreciated.

Regards,

Tushar

4 REPLIES 4
venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@tushartechlab 

I have few queries to know the details.

1. Data Source. (Ex:- Dataset/Oracle/SQL Server..etc.,)

2. Connectivity Mode - Direct Query

3. Gateway version

4. Have you tried to publish the file to the another workspace and check for the option.

Note:- If the datasource is "Power BI Dataset" and accessed the same in different report, created a few measures and published the report. In this case we were unable to find the option. To avoid that we need to create the mesaures in Original report and access it in current one.

Hope it will help for your issue.

If you have any queries, please let us know.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and click on thumb symbol?

BR

venal.

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tushartechlab ,

Based on my test, the report can be published to web when it connects to the data source use DirectQuery.

If you want to publish a report with DirectQuery, you will have to have the On-Premise Data Gateway installed.

You would then need to configure the On-Premise Data Gateway with the DirectQuery Data Source.

Once the above is done, you can then upload your Power BI Report. Once it has been uploaded it should notify you that it is connected to the Gateway.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Thankyou guys,

I guess I figured out the problem. Everything was configured properly, but once I publish the report I have to go to data connections and reconfigure / map the data source to the gateway again, somehow it gets unmapped. I guess it is due to the "replace" option that I am selecting when deploying from local to the server from desktop. 

But I see that in direct query the reports in normal mode do show real-time data but the publish to web (embed code) reports don't show real-time data, I guess they still follow the caching mechanism in the direct query mode too, as mentioned on the Microsoft Website. So I guess it show the database changes after an hour? What are your thoughts guys?

Thanks for the response guys. 

Agreed. Based on my test, the visual will be refreshed after an hour. Yet i haven't found any document but there's some topic about it.

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors