Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mitchvdd
Frequent Visitor

Direct Query Dataflows?

When is Direct Query from Dataflows available? I should be available already, because they announced it to be in Public Preview in April 2020.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform-release-plan/2020wave1/business-intelligence/dataflo...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi AArohatgi,

Have you enabled the 'Enhanced Compute Engine' for Dataflows and reloaded the Dataflow? This was the solution for me!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Mitchvdd
Frequent Visitor

In Power BI Desktop the option is already available, but if you select it you will get the message that DirectQuery is not available for Dataflows.

DirectQuery Dataflows.png

@Mitchvdd , is that a premium only feature?
Is that required enabling - "Enhanced dataset format" in PBI Desktop.
what is the version of PBI desktop you are using?

@vissvess,I don't think it's going to be a premium feature. However, you do need premium to hang your own Data Lake Gen 2 on the Dataflows.

In addition, I think the function "Enhanced dataset format" has nothing to do with Direct Query from Dataflows.

I am using the following version: 2.80.5803.1061 64-bit (April 2020)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Enhanced Dataset format has to be disabled as mentioned in the microsoft document but still am facing the issue where it is asking me to switch to import mode. Look here 

Hi AArohatgi,

Have you enabled the 'Enhanced Compute Engine' for Dataflows and reloaded the Dataflow? This was the solution for me!

@Mitchvdd , but power bi dataflow manages the storages in background automatically. One need not have azure datalake to use dataflow. 

Is the direct query of dataflow require storing it in a custom user datalake.?

if not, how to get this direct query of dataflow?

Wilf

Good question that I'd love to know the answer to aswell.

I've been searching high and low trying to see if they've hidden the new feature somewhere obscure but can't see it anywhere, so guessing it's not yet dropped.

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Mitchvdd 

I guess the team is also affected by the COVID.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hi @TomMartens,

That makes perfect sense, but I'm working on setting up an architecture where Direct Query on Dataflows would help me enormously. I would like to know when this is available so that I can communicate that too.

Kind regards,

Mitch

@Mitchvdd 

For further updates, please check with the below link.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/35976663-dataflows-direct-query

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform-release-plan/2020wave1/business-intelligence/planned...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @

BR

venal.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors